Posted on Jan 30, 2019 by HEATHLAND MANAGEMENT SERVICES
Client: Hampshire & IoW Wildlife Trust Ltd
Site: Woolmer Forest
Works area: WF01
- To clear scrub within the works area, leaving selected individuals or small groups.
- To treat stumps when necessary, with a chemical herbicide to prevent re-growth.
- To burn cut material or drag into adjacent woodland creating discrete, small piles.
- All scrub will be hand cut using a chainsaw or a clearing saw.
- Stumps will be treated with a 50/50 mix of Glyphosate and water when necessary.
- Scrub close to the woodland edge will be dragged in and made into small, discrete piles.
- A chainsaw will be run through them to ensure the piles are compacted which will aid decomposition.
- All other cut material will be placed to rows and collected using a small tractor (85hp) with a front loader.
- The tractor will move the collected material to a pre-selected fire site or to a stacking area in the case of a fire ban.
- Routes across the works area will be kept to a minimum to reduce soil compaction and ground flora damage.
- The location of the fire site(s) will be chosen based on the following criteria:
- An area of low ecological value.
- An area which will not affect timber production trees.
- An area that will not cause too much ground disturbance or rutting.
- In the event of a fire ban, the stacked cut material will be burnt during the intermittent days when the site is open to access.
To apply please email