Head of Advanced Analytics
Posted on Nov 4, 2022 by Resource Solutions - GSC
Head of Advanced Analytics
Introduction to the London Digital Hub (LDH)
With a remit across MS&AD group and its subsidiaries the team works to deliver best in class data solutions by working in Tandem with other specialist functions including Pricing, Exposure, Reserving, Underwriting and Claims. There are two core disciplines: Engineering - tasked with collecting, validating and delivering data and split between architecture, stack and delivery; and Advanced Analytics - tasked with using data analysis methodologies including predictive modelling, machine learning algorithms, process automation and other methods to impact process and split between science, journalism and support.
In this instance we are recruiting the Head of Advanced Analytics who must act as a fulcrum between the science function and the business. Within the advanced analytics discipline you'll lead teams tasked with: data science and pricing, who create and deploy algorithmic models to extract knowledge from data; journalism, who are front-facing and ensure clear communication between the functions of LDH and the business; and support, who ensure deployed deliverables continue to perform as expected.
You'll need: excellent technical skills to lead the data science function, acting as a visionary for the evolution of operational models; sound re/insurance knowledge to guide our data journalists and a methodical approach to assist our support analysts.
About the Job
What you'll spend your time doing:
Whilst this is pre-dominantly a management role you'll still be expected to be hands-on. You'll engage across the spectrum of advanced analytics, guiding our data scientists while ensuring effective product support and programme/change management/analysis. It's expected that you keep up-to-date as best practice progresses and act as a visionary for LDH analytics so that it matures as required.
You'll establish clear, effective communication with stakeholders who likely lack an advanced analytics background so they continue to understand our over-arching competencies. You'll drive schemes to up-skill both the team and the wider business and act as a champion for the power of data and coding.
You're going to enjoy this job if you also
Leading a team, making decisions about how to build an effective and progressive analytics function, researching new analytic methodologies, pushing the envelope and dealing with people.
What you'll need:
For this particular role there are levels of knowledge and experience we need you to have.
- Proven and demonstratable experience in building a high-performance advanced analytics team
- Expertise as both a analytics visionary and technical lead
- Exposure to re/insurance pricing methodologies.
- Expertise in SQL, Python, R.
- Experience managing a multidisciplinary team
- A minimum of 5+ years within an advanced analytics discipline
- The ability to handle stakeholders with varying levels of technical knowledge and skill
- A desire to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team
- Intellectual curiosity, communication and presentation skills
What you can expect from us:
A competitive salary and benefits package is a given, but you can also expect:
- A great team and supportive colleagues
- An open mind (especially to new ideas and ways of doing things)
- A strong focus on diversity, inclusion and equal opportunities
- A programme of wellbeing and mental health support
- Employer-supported volunteering (ESV)
- Flexible working
- Continuous learning
- Study support
- Structured career development
About the business
This business is part of a global top-10 insurance group, MS&AD. We're made up of four distinct businesses covering global reinsurance, Lloyd's franchise, specialty insurer, and business services.
This role sits within our Business Services division (MS ABS) which supports our entire organisation through Underwriting, legal, HR, facilities management, marketing, IT, risk management, compliance and finance.