Network Design Engineer
Posted on Nov 4, 2022 by GCS
6 month contract, inside IR35.
Candidate can be based anywhere in the UK
Please note: This role requires travel to client sites for Surveys. Expenses can be claimed for those travels.
Location: Can be remote as will be required to travel to locations throughout SE england for Surveys
- This role aims to drive innovation in design to future proof our network by upgrading 15 million premises to XGSPON. Supporting design partners by producing HLD, you'll be responsible for rolling out training, designing a fibre backhaul solution and producing technical guides around how to use engineering solutions within a design.
- Scope, validate and design complex XGSPON backhaul network serving 100k+ premises.
- Provide HLD for Client's existing nationwide network enabling a strategic and collaborative city upgrade programme to serve both corporate and residential premises.
- Identify high level risks and support Local Authority engagement to ensure successful deployment of strategic assets ahead of delivery programme.
- Field and technical site surveys to confirm accuracy of HLD outputs.
- Promote a culture of excellence working in partnership with low level design teams to actively identify, document and roll out training requirements.
- Impact assess new technologies and support training and implementation plan as required to productionise new technologies in a fast moving environment.
- Ensure Fibre Upgrade design documentation is updated to meet latest engineering standards and best practices to support right first-time approach.
- Provide technical support to partner relations manager in the creation of scope documents & action plans to drive high performance across design partners.
- Drive continuous improvement by innovating and challenging current working practices to ensure cost effective and timely delivery of Fibre Upgrade programme.
- Drive the evolution of the design capability, identifying opportunities to automate and enhance people, process and systems capability to deliver improved efficiencies.
- Extensive experience in designing complex fibre networks within a large scale telecom environment
- Knowledge of FTTH or PON networks
- Knowledge of the network topology and regional variances advantageous
- Understanding of field telecommunication installation activities and working practices
- Microsoft Office + Teams
- AutoCAD or GIS system experience - don't need the survey if they are advanced Autocad (coding)
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a remote team across disciplines
- Flexibility to perform multiple duties, across multiple regions where required
- Effective instructional writing skills
- An analytical mind capable for "out-of-the-box" thinking to solve problems
- Excellent ability to confidently present to a technical and non-technical audience including senior leaders
- Understanding of CDM regulations and designer obligations
- SCTE certification advantageous
- NRWSA Unit 2 -Flexible with this if advanced autocad
- Full driving license
GCS Computer Recruitment Services is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.