Principal Engineer (Hardware Product Design Lead) - Defence/Military
Posted on Nov 3, 2022 by Synergize Consulting Ltd
Our client, a large multinational defence company, are currently seeking an experience Principal Engineer (Hardware Product Design Lead) to join the business in a permanent capacity to lead and undertake hardware related engineering activities in line with all relevant processes and quality requirements for the development and delivery of CS Hardware Products.
The role will be based out of their busy and secure sites in Portsmouth however will allow for a hybrid working arrangement which will see travel to site approx. 3 days per week.
Due to the nature of our clients work, the role will require the successful applicant to hold security clearance to a minimum SC level or be will and able to undergo the Vetting process to achieve this.
With overall product development direction provided by the applicable Hardware Technical Authority (HWTA), the role is to lead the hardware design function team members to deliver the required design and development activities on a day-to-day basis. The role will liaise with the Product Engineering Manager (PEM) for project information.
There will also be full support from the team and the wider business to progress your career.
What you'll be doing:
- Lead team members in the preparation of hardware specifications, develop hardware designs in line with specifications and all quality and technical standards, and carry out hardware design appraisals in assigned areas to ensure all standards are maintained.
- Provide help and direction to less experienced team members to support both their effective working and their development.
- Manage assigned resources and lead, develop and motivate assigned employees to ensure they are aware of and capable of delivering their accountabilities and provide a strong contribution to engineering team decisions to support the effective performance of the team.
- Carry out complex hardware analyses and investigations, including evaluation and selection of hardware options, and prepare reports with suggested recommendations to support the resolution of problems and the improvement of engineering capability.
- Act as a point of contact with customers and/or suppliers in assigned areas on engineering matters, to resolve complex problems and issues and to maintain awareness in both parties of priorities and objectives.
- Make engineering decisions within own sphere of responsibility and authority to support Product Design Certification activities including Product Safety & Environmental matters
Your skills and experiences:
- Ability to operate in a large, complex multi-project environment with significant experience in engineering or a defence or related industry
- Strong knowledge in some of the following areas:
- COTS Hardware
- Hardware design aspects
- Electrical Engineering
- Platform installation
- Environmental testing
- Hardware acceptance process
- Experience within Naval Combat Systems Development Environment across multiple life cycle phases.
- Knowledge of the Naval domain
- Good understanding of LCM & the Engineering Lifecycle
Typically, Degree qualified, likely to be in a technology, engineering or science related discipline. Meet the requirements for registration as Incorporated Engineer or Chartered Engineer with the Engineering Council and preferably be a member of a relevant Professional body