Electrical Design Engineer
Posted on Jan 24, 2019 by Pertemps Reading Commercial DDT
Job Role: Electrical Design Engineer
The Bespoke Electrical Project Engineer role is responsible for the management and delivery of all Electrical component development activities across the relevant multi-departmental process-chain to ensure on time introduction and integration into bespoke vehicle content.
The position is responsible for project planning of all electrical engineering activities to the required detail in support of the tasks assigned by the Lead Engineer.
Key accountabilities include:
To manage and carry out the necessary electrical development activities including; Research Investigation, Internal Patent Application, Engineering Costing, Engineering Design, Risk Analysis, CoC Alignment, Test Planning & Validation, Project Planning, whilst ensuring product parameters (product properties & function, costs, weight, quality, timing) are released on time within the scope defined by feature sheets assigned by the Lead Engineer.
Developing and evaluating conceptual alternatives from the Process-Chain, and supplying cost information to Project Management & Purchasing for make or buy decisions.
To financially evaluate bespoke features for Engineering relevant budget costs including Testing, Engineering Manpower, Development Materials, etc, and manage the budget in the feature sheets as the project develops.
Lead the Electrical Simultaneous Engineering Team and carry out project management activities within the team comprised of the Process-Chain stakeholders from other functions across the business.
Establishing, agreeing, documenting tasks and requirements and assigning them to the correct stakeholders within the 'Bespoke Engineering Team' and supporting the tasks assigned from the Lead Engineer
Creation, maintain, and alignment of engineering time plans ensuring activities are aligned with Process-Chain stakeholders and deliver the project on time for the require milestones
To mediate any conflicts within the process chain, implement the solutions with best effect to the overall business, or escalate topics to the Lead Engineer that cannot be resolved
Creation, maintain, and release of engineering requirements for features including the use of various risk analysis steps, including Risk filters, DFMEAs, and ensure associated Legal, Safety & Group standard requirements are brought into DVPs, Lastenhefts, and other engineering documents
To agree with Series engineering stakeholders the required Legal, Safety & group requirements to features must adhere to
To lead capacity planning of Design Engineers to carry out the design & development of the bespoke components including the generation of BoM, CAD Data, 2D electrical wiring/pinning drawings, other specification documents and prepare information for Engineering System Release
To ensure the engineering design is integrated within the series product packaging without unforeseen effects to the product performance
To ensure requirements required for manufacture are implemented into the design and associated documents
To determine the required quality requirements from an engineering perspective working with design & quality functions
To validate the product to all homologation requirements before prepare information for Engineering Release.
To lead all resolution activities for any issues identified in the 'Problem Management Process' and to report/document the status when required
To create and maintain project status information to support the reporting objectives of the Lead Engineer as required.
To continually improve department processes and process "Building Blocks" in conjunction with colleagues throughout the complete bespoke organisation
To actively participate in departmental strategic improvements and initiatives
Qualifications & Experience Required:
* Degree in Electrical Engineering, Automotive Engineering, or equivalent
* 5 years' experience in an Automotive Engineering Electrical development environment
* Knowledge of Automotive Manufacturing Processes for electrical components with the ability to select appropriate wiring concepts, processes and tooling options for low and medium volume manufacturing volumes
* Knowledge of international automotive legislation and homologation requirements releacting to electrical content
* Experience in automotive electrical project/programme management and leading cross-functional teams without disciplinary responsibility of team members
* CAD (Catia V5) competence required.
* Ability to create wiring/pinning diagrams for vehicle harnesses with interfaces to CAN/LIN bus systems
* Ability to carry out Programming and Parameterisation development of electrical ECUs/Drivers/Systems
* A sound knowledge of automotive feature development including development cost estimation, technical feature specification, DFM/DFA, RPT and low-volume production techniques with respect to cost, time and weight requirements and also regarding test planning and development.
* Able to demonstrate the ability to meet the highest of automotive standards with regards to quality, robustness and the avoidance of undesirable levels of NVH.
* An appreciation of and the ability to develop solutions with respect to the required electrical properties/requirements
* An understanding of vehicle and component measurement/validation systems
* Advanced IT skills essential for Microsoft Office programs including Excel, PowerPoint, Project, Word, and ideally knowledge of BMW Group Engineering systems
* Business/technical German language capability would be advantageous.
* Ability to self-motivate with a flexible approach to delivering business orientated targets in short project timelines
* Ability to flexibly travel is required around working hours to visit various UK/European suppliers & project offices in Europe
Electrical Design Engineer - Additional Information:
Position: Electrical Design Engineer
Contract Rate: £35 per hour
If this sounds like something for you then please Apply!!
Bennett & Game Recruitment