Senior Financial Analyst
Posted on Jan 24, 2019 by S&P Global
Senior Financial Analyst
Grade (relevant for internal applicants only): 10
The Role: S&P Global Platts, the leading independent provider of information and benchmark prices for the commodities and energy markets, is searching for a Sr. Financial Analyst to support the Platts Reporting & Control team by preparing journal entries, account reconciliations, reporting, presentations, analyses and forecasts. This position may also assist with audit requests/SOX compliance and special projects.
The Location: Presently, the role is based at S&P Global Platts NY office in midtown at 2 Penn Plaza New York, NY. In 4thQ 2019, S&P Global Platts' NY office is scheduled to relocate downtown to S&P Global headquarters at 55 Water St New York, NY.T
he Team: The S&P Global Platts Finance team primarily consists of New York and London based employees. The Team also regularly interacts with divisions of S&P Global Corporate.
The Impact: This position will work along-side the Director and Managers Finance to ensure all monthly financial reporting and analysis is delivered timely and accurately to facilitate decision making by management. This position will also partner with the business/functional finance leads on accounting and reporting matters.
What's in it for you: The role offers the opportunity to gain a centralized view of S&P Global Platts Finance, with responsibilities in accounting, reporting, analysis and audit/SOX. There is a track-record of advancement within the Platts Finance team and the broader S&P Global Finance organization. A strong senior financial analyst may have the potential to advance to finance manager in 2-3 years' time.
- Assist with monthly accounting close and financial reporting process. Prepare journal entries and balance sheet account reconciliations, and research general ledger activity. Deliver timely and accurate monthly financial reporting packages.
- Review, analyze and interpret monthly financial results. Perform variance analysis and assist with preparation of PowerPoint presentations for senior management and S&P Global Corporate.
- Support overall business unit reporting requirements. Develop knowledge and understanding of the financial systems that are critical to the reporting process.
- Respond to requests related to internal/external audits and Sarbanes-Oxley compliance.
- Provide support for the annual budget and monthly estimate process for assigned areas.
- Prepare analysis for ad hoc requests and special projects, and provide direct support to the Managers and Directors of Finance on an as-needed basis.
- Provides data and analysis during monthly close, estimate and annual budget processes.
- Performs ad hoc analyses as requested in order to help management make informed decisions regarding the short and long term objectives of the business.
- Alert management to accounting or operational problems and suggest actionable solutions.
- Provide thorough and accurate responses to Senior Management, Corporate and Audit-related inquiries.
What we're looking for: Bachelor's Degree in Accounting/Finance or related curriculum, strong knowledge of accounting principles is required, CPA strongly preferred, 3-5 years' work experience in public accounting and/or private accounting/finance department, strong skills in MS Excel (Pivot tables, V-Lookups, IF functions) and PowerPoint, experience with ERP (Oracle Financials) and Cognos TM1 preferred.
- Must have a Bachelor's Degree in Accounting/Finance or related curriculum. Strong knowledge of U.S. GAAP is required. CPA strongly preferred
- 3-5 years' work experience in public accounting or private accounting/finance department
- Strong skills in MS Excel (Pivot tables, V-Lookups, IF functions, etc.) and PowerPoint.
- Experience with ERP (Oracle Financials) and Cognos TM1 preferred.
- Strong attention to detail and analytical ability with an inquisitive mind.
- Ability to work independently and as a fully contributing member of a team.
- Ability to multi-task, work under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
At S&P Global Platts, we provide the insights; you make better informed trading and business decisions with confidence. We're the leading independent provider of information and benchmark prices for the commodities and energy markets. Customers in over 150 countries look to our expertise in news, pricing and analytics to deliver greater transparency and efficiency to markets. S&P Global Platts coverage includes oil and gas, power, petrochemicals, metals, agriculture and shipping.
S&P Global Platts is a division of S&P Global (NYSE: SPGI), which provides essential intelligence for individuals, companies and governments to make decisions with confidence. For more information, visit .
S&P Global is an equal opportunity employer committed to making all employment decisions without regard to race/ethnicity, gender, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status (including domestic partnerships and civil unions), sexual orientation, military veteran status, unemployment status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment.
If you need an accommodation during the application process due to a disability, please send an email to: and your request will be forwarded to the appropriate person.
The EEO is the Law Poster describes discrimination protections under federal law.
Senior Financial Analyst