Tax Analyst, State and Local Taxes
Posted on Jan 24, 2019 by S&P Global
The Role: Analyst, State and Local Taxes
The Location: 55 Water Street New York, NY
The Team and Impact: The Tax Analyst will be a key member of the Global Tax Compliance and Audit team with primary responsibility for the state and local tax compliance of the US tax group. This position will be responsible for the preparation and filing of monthly, quarterly and annual sales tax returns, gross receipts tax and other miscellaneous state tax returns and reconciliation of associated General Ledger accounts. In addition, this position will be responsible for assisting the Sales and Use Tax Manager with data collection for tax audits, interact and respond to queries from the divisions. This position will also provide assistance with the preparation of the state and local income tax compliance and provision as needed, as well as assistance with responding to state and local income tax auditors' requests for information.
Sales and Use Tax Compliance
- Prepare sales and use tax returns for SPGI and subsidiaries. Review and manage sales & use compliance filings provided by Vertex.
- Prepare General Ledger reconciliations on a monthly basis.
- Prepare other returns such as gross receipts tax, Ohio CAT, San Francisco Business License and other miscellaneous returns.
Income Tax Compliance
- Prepare state and local income tax returns for SPGI and subsidiaries.
- Prepare state income tax estimates and extensions, along with payments and reconciliations.
- Support the state income tax manager with quarterly and annual provision calculations.
State Tax Audit and Controversy
- Assist Sales, Use, and Income Tax Managers with state tax audits.
- Assist with state tax notices, audit documentation requests and responses.
- Manage the progress of state audits using an audit tracker.
- Respond and interact with operating divisions in regards to state tax requirements, including the issuance of resale/exemption certificates.
- Manage special projects as related to business and department objectives.
- Conduct tax research and analysis for state tax planning projects. Keep track of current tax developments.
- 2+ years of accounting experience preferred
- Knowledge of state and local taxes preferred
- Familiarity with sales and use, and income tax compliance
- Familiarity with general ledger and tax compliance systems/platforms (i.e. Oracle, OneSource)
- The candidate must demonstrate the ability to use tax knowledge and previous experience to add value and assist in meeting the department's objectives while working in a fast-paced organization
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office, specifically Excel (Pivot tables, VLOOKUP functions)
- Works well independently and in a team environment
- BA/BS in Accounting and/or Master's degree in Accounting/Taxation
At S&P Global, we don't give you intelligence-we give you essential intelligence. The essential intelligence you need to make decisions with conviction. We're the world's foremost provider of ratings, benchmarks and analytics in the global capital and commodity markets. Our divisions include:
- S&P Global Ratings, which provides credit ratings, research and insights essential to driving growth and transparency.
- S&P Global Market Intelligence, which provides insights into companies, markets and data so that business and financial decisions can be made with conviction.
- S&P Dow Jones Indices, the world's largest resource for iconic and innovative indices, which helps investors pinpoint global opportunities.
- S&P Global Platts, which equips customers to identify and seize opportunities in energy and commodities, stimulating business growth and market transparency.
To all recruitment agencies: S&P Global does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward such resumes to any S&P Global employee, office location or website. S&P Global will not be responsible for any fees related to such resumes.
S&P Global is an equal opportunity employer committed to making all employment decisions without regard to race/ethnicity, gender, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status (including domestic partnerships and civil unions), sexual orientation, military veteran status, unemployment status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment.
If you need an accommodation during the application process due to a disability, please send an email to: and your request will be forwarded to the appropriate person.
The EEO is the Law Poster describes discrimination protections under federal law.
Tax Analyst, State and Local Taxes