Java Trading Engineer
Posted on Jan 24, 2019 by ManGroup
About Man Group
Man Group is a global active investment management firm, which runs $114.1bn* of client capital in liquid and private markets, managed by investment specialists based around the world. Headquartered in London, the firm has 15 international offices and operates across multiple jurisdictions. Our business has five specialist investment engines, which represent the range of our capabilities: Man AHL, Man Numeric, Man GLG, Man FRM and Man GPM.
These engines house numerous investment teams, working collaboratively within the framework of Man Group, with a high degree of investment autonomy. Each team benefits from the strength and resources of the firm's single operating platform, enabling their primary focus to be seeking to generate alpha for clients. The teams invest across a diverse range of strategies and asset classes with highly specialised approaches, with long only and alternative strategies run on a discretionary and quantitative basis in single and multi-manager formats. Our clients are at the heart of everything we do and we engage in close dialogue with our investors as strategic partners, to understand their particular needs and constraints. Man Group's investment teams are empowered and supported by our institutional infrastructure and technology, which aims to facilitate the efficient exposure to markets and effective collaboration across the organisation.
Through the Man Charitable Trust and sponsorship of the Man Booker Prizes, Man Group is committed to promoting literacy and numeracy on a global scale, and to supporting charitable causes more broadly.
Man Group plc is listed on the London Stock Exchange under the ticker EMG.LN and is a constituent of the FTSE 250 Index. Further information can be found at .
*As at 30 September 2018. All investment management and advisory services are offered through the investment â€œenginesâ€ of Man AHL, Man Numeric, Man GLG, Man FRM and Man Global Private Markets (GPM).
About Man Numeric
Man Numeric employs systematic security-selection processes that are underpinned by a bottom-up, fundamental approach, offering both long only and alternative strategies. The team's highly experienced professionals operate collaboratively, distilling their analytical and investment expertise into systematic processes which are applied across regions, styles, and capitalisations.
Man Numeric has a strong history in public equities, focusing on bottom-up stock selection processes based on fundamental, causal market relationships and reinforced by continuous research. Its approach seeks to capitalise on temporary market inefficiencies, with models that look to identify mispricing opportunities. Furthermore, the engine seeks to innovate continually and research new areas and opportunities. Man Numeric has significant capabilities in systematic responsible investing, with around half of its assets managed employing some form of sustainability screen.
Founded in 1989 and becoming part of Man Group in 2014, Man Numeric's funds under management were $34.7bn at 30 September 2018. Further information can be found at
Purpose of Role
We are looking for a talented developer with a genuine passion for technology to join a team of software engineers solving various problems spanning trading systems and operational processes. Such an individual will work closely with a range of hedge fund professionals in order to ensure that leading edge technology keeps the business at the forefront of its field. The trading systems provide proprietary order and execution management services to internal hedge fund managers and desk traders. Our team is missioned with defining and implementing the next generation of our platform and tech stack utilizing modern Microservice architectures and highly-available systems.
This role offers a unique opportunity to learn soup-to-nuts how data is transformed from investment signals into trading decisions ensuring the trading life cycle is robust and scalable. This opening requires occasional support coverage with advancement opportunities.
- Participating in team's agile SDLC process including the following activities:
- requirements gathering
- development using existing technology stack
- release engineering
- Contribute to documentation spanning support, technical specs, domain knowledge
- Ability and willingness to perform on-call responsibilities when needed, including nights and weekends
Required Skills and Experience:
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
- Software design and coding abilities commensurate with 7+ years of experience including education
- Significant experience with one or more modern programming languages (Java, Groovy, Python, C#, etc)
- 3+ years of professional Java experience working in an enterprise web application context:
- Front End:
- Middle Tier:
- MVC with Spring MVC, Struts or equivalent
- Core Spring framework for dependency injections and transactions
- JPA, Hibernate, etc
- Java 8+
- Tomcat 8+ or other equivalent application servers
- Back End:
- Tuning JPA or HQL queries with strong understanding of SQL constructs
- Some exposure to stored procedure development
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Strong SQL and database knowledge (highly valued)
- Solid proficiency in Unix and Linux shell commands (highly valued)
- Source control such as GIT, SVN, etc. (highly valued)
- Comfortable with agile development processes such as Scrum or Kanban (valued)
- Familiarity with Atlassian SDLC tools including Jira, Wiki, BitBucket, and SourceTree (valued)
- Strong collaborative engineering techniques and methods (highly valued)
- Understanding of financial markets, instruments, and protocols (FIX) (nice to have)
- Experience with front-office software development such as trading systems, equity modelling, analytics, etc. (nice to have)
- Experience working with Microservice architectures and libraries (Spring Boot, Micronaut, etc) with or without messaging for intra-service communication (highly valued).