Mountain Hardwear Men's Sportswear Designer
Posted on Jan 24, 2019 by Columbia Sportswear
Works closely with Design Leadership and Product Line Managers to design and merchandise an apparel line for assigned categories and projects. Initiates and interprets new product concepts to meet the needs of our consumers, resulting in sales and growth for the company. Presents design concepts including fabrication, style definition, color and features for review by the product creation team. Manages design projects and works with team members to ensure that deadlines are met to reach Company goals.
- Proposes design ideas based on seasonal assignments with regard to fabrication, style definition, functional features, fit requirements and design details. Refines concepts as directed by the Creative Director. Works within target prices as much as possible and coordinates efforts with Production/Sourcing to assure most effective results.
- Provides sketches and line art to communicate design concepts, including multiple views and detail sketches as necessary. Provides design/concept tools to communicate design and color direction.
- Works closely with Materials Research to define new areas to research and source. Identifies fabrics, trims, and garment components as needed on a seasonal basis. Researches and proposes trims, graphic applications, prints and/or patterns if applicable, and labels designs by working closely with Product Development and/or Graphics Designer(s). Communicates fabric and trims information to team members.
- Participates in prototype process for assigned category(s). Includes initiating sample requests by working closely with Associate Designer and Product Developer(s), reviewing samples and directing revisions as needed throughout the development cycle. Attends fit sessions and categorical team meetings as needed to facilitate process, revisions, and finalization of products.
- Proposes color palette for assigned category(s) and participates in color process, including defining lab dip needs and color-way development on a style-by-style basis. Works as a team member in identifying general color direction on a seasonal basis. Works to ensure all color requirements are met on a timely basis.
- Develops open lines of communication to all merchandising areas within the company. Interacts closely with Sales and Marketing to understand product/consumer needs and works to initiate communication techniques that can educate retailers and consumers.
- Facilitates inter/intra-departmental communication and teamwork as needed to assure timelines are met and to ensure critical merchandising information is available to Design, Merchandising, Product Development, Graphics, Production/Sourcing, and Sales personnel.
- Researches worldwide marketplace and interprets consumer and market needs as they relate to product category(s). Includes researching fabric, color, and design concepts.
- Minimum 3-5 years garment design/development experience in the apparel industry.
- Experience with outdoor industry and apparel category strongly desired.
- Strong Adobe Illustrator skills/experience a must.
- Requires a Bachelor's degree or equivalent specializing in apparel design, fabric arts, or related field.
- Possess thorough knowledge of apparel design and development; merchandising procedures, product materials, and production techniques.
- Knowledge of computer design software as well as the talent and ability to perform free hand drawings.
- Possess well-developed written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work in a demanding fast paced environment with a high level of adaptability.
- Ability to conduct complex interpersonal interactions with employees and customers, troubleshoot, design, coordinate and perform special task/projects simultaneously, make decisions, operate independently and with discretion, and work effectively under pressure.
- Must have excellent eyesight, including strong sense of color.
This job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities, but constitutes a general definition of the position's scope and function in the company.
EEO/AA Employer/Vets/Disabled/Race/Ethnicity/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Age