Product Owner (Technical Specialist)
Posted on Jan 16, 2019 by Financial Conduct Authority
As part of the technology organisation at the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), the Infrastructure and Operations team procures/develops, implements and maintains digital products to run the organisation. Our intent is to continuously deliver value to all our stakeholders.
We work in small, stable teams of engineers, architects and analysts formed around digital products. Our product management approach draws on agile methods, lean principles and continuous delivery practices.
We need great technical Product Owners with a depth of experience for meeting the needs of disparate stakeholders across multi-function organisations through digital services. You'll know what it takes to represent the needs of product teams while striving to adopt and operationalise best practices. You'll demonstrate empathy and entrepreneurship, going well beyond stories and backlog ranking.
You'll be responsible for maximising the value of one or more digital products with a backlog that includes all value, failure and improvement demand from all sources.
Working with the Product Manager and alongside other Product Owners, you will interpret the product vision and create the product roadmap, employing hypothesis-driven practices to realise it. As the key point of contact for stakeholders across the organisation, we need you to demonstrate leadership in the delivery of service excellence.
We need a Product Owner at our Technical Specialist (TS E1) grade for the following:
- Adoption Services: managing and providing cloud infrastructure expertise at scale. Additionally, engaging stakeholders and broadening the knowledge of cloud infrastructure standards, security, and best practices to strive for an enterprise-class cloud environment.
Key roles & responsibilities:
- Delivering change and operational services for large and complex products
- Adhering to architectural patterns and standards are part of delivery
- Estimating changes to relevant products to support investment cases and portfolio prioritisation
- Management of product budgets, both costs and income
- Setting and tracking performance metrics for agile delivery approach to identify delivery bottlenecks
- Publicising and ensuring stakeholders clearly understand the service/software/capability catalogues offered
- Ensuring product team compliance with relevant governance requirements
- About you
We're a signatory to the Government's Disability Confident scheme. This means that we guarantee an interview to any disabled candidates entering under the scheme, should they meet the minimum criteria for a role. A minimum criterion needs to be measurable from reviewing a candidates CV.
- Substantial experience of demand management through product backlog prioritisation and capacity management through allocation of work to the team in an agile environment.
- Substantial experience in leading internal and external teams to deliver technology change and run capabilities.
- Substantial experience in digital product development, innovation, risk management, stakeholder management, quality assurance and change impact.
- Substantial experience and or knowledge of service management (e.g. incident and problem management)
- Substantial experience of planning and estimation techniques for product development in a lean, agile, continuous delivery environment
- Knowledge of and exposure to self-service delivery model
- Effective influencing and negotiating at senior leadership level, communicating explicit and implicit trade-offs. Credible leader, able to adapt style to build strong relationships with senior leaders, collaborating across the organisation and use various techniques to facilitate innovation
- Strategic and pragmatic thinker, focused on outcomes and the bigger picture with the confidence to engage constructively to challenge established approaches.
- Substantial experience in communicating change, managing stakeholder expectations, and providing proactive reporting
- Knowledge of enterprise-scale application architecture
- Experience of promoting digital products within the organisation
- Knowledge of innovation initiatives for digital products
- Coaching skills, able to coach peers and teams of specialists in Product management methodologies.
- Experience of managing digital products from a development and operational service perspective. With budget responsibility of up to 15m per year.
At the FCA, we're creating a fair and more resilient financial system. We're establishing more transparent relationships between financial services and their customers, building trust in financial markets and protecting vulnerable consumers.
Financial services regulation is constantly changing, impacting the way in which we regulate. Business and Technology Solutions (BTS) supports the FCA in managing the impact of such changes on the organisation, its processes and people. BTS continually scrutinises the way we work and drives change to ensure we continue to deliver our objectives in the most efficient and cost-effective way possible.
The FCA's Values & Diversity
Our ambition is to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the society we serve, helping us to be a better regulator.
As an inclusive employer, we are open to considering flexible working arrangements. Please contact our recruiter if you wish to apply for this role on a flexible basis.
- This role is graded Technical Specialist (TS E1)
- The salary range will be approximately 70,000 to 100,000 GBP plus a competitive benefits package and non-contributory pension
- Applications for this role close Monday 14th January
If you are interested learning more about this role:
For internal applications, contact Stephane Mortier on
For external applications, contact Herdeep Dhaliwal on
This role will be based in The International Quarter, Stratford .
Search jobs & apply