Process Safety Management (PSM) Engineer
Posted on Jan 24, 2019 by balchem
Process Safety Management (PSM) Engineer
To provide direct support to all of our North American and European Manufacturing, R&D, and Sales teams. The position requires expertise in doing PHAs of existing processes and new processes (projects), developing and implementing PSM programs, leading investigations and root cause analyses, assessing PSM and reliability systems, reviewing operating and maintenance procedures, and assessing equipment reliability systems (mechanical integrity systems) and include site personnel and collaborate in all aspects of such an effort while abiding by the mission, objectives, and policies of the Company.
- Upholds safety, health, environmental procedures, communicates directly and supports the EHS department to ensure OSHA and EPA compliance at all times.
- Personally provide leadership, counsel and technical assistance to the operations managers, technical advisors, maintenance manager, safety supervisor, plant engineering, and hourly plant personnel in the field of process safety management to attain production, quality, cost, safety and environmental goals.
- Lead and document the PHA/hazard evaluations of each phase of a large project (such as a new process).
- Lead and document the PHA/hazard evaluations of existing (older) process.
- Lead incident investigations or root cause analyses.
- Demonstrate how to prepare for PHA meetings, how to effectively lead the hazard review meetings, and how to document the results in a useable PHA report.
- Perform Layer of Protection Analysis (LOPA) for determining if the risk of an accident scenario is low enough.
- Be an expert at determining the necessary risk mitigation for an accident scenario during PHAs/HAZOPs, or as a stand-alone task.
- Must be a Subject Matter Expert in all aspects of a Mechanical Integrity program including building an effective Preventative Maintenance system. Should be well versed in reviewing maintenance and operating procedures with specific regards to process and safety hazards.
- Develop and implement key performance indicators (most importantly, leading indicators) to track the progress of PSM on a week-by week and month-by-month basis.
- Manage, coordinate and implement all fourteen(14) elements of the OSHA Process Safety Management standard and the additional requirements of EPA risk management plan rule.
- Evaluate new processes and modify existing processes and facilities to meet new requirements.
- Work in tandem with the maintenance management staff to develop, coordinate and evaluate maintenance programs for highly technical equipment with respect to process safety.
- Provide oversight and conduct audits for site management of change (MOC) and pre-start up safety review process (PSSR).
- Participate on teams responsible for implementing new products and processes.
- Bachelors degree in Chemical Engineering preferred; Bachelor in Engineering acceptable.
- Certified PHA Facilitator not required but a strong plus
- Minimum 3 years of relevant experience in engineering, operations, and/or maintenance with applied experience in process safety.
- Familiar with industry standards and recommended practices (API, NFPA, ASME, etc.).
- Knowledge in application and compliance requirements of regulatory codes (OSHA, EPA, etc.).
- Experience working in PSM covered process site. PSM Leadership responsibilities. Use of Root Cause Analysis methodologies required.
- Computer proficient, skillful in MS Office products.
- Ability to plan, delegate, and organize tasks to consistently produce results, with minimal supervisionself-motivated.
- Organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated people management and team building skills and the ability to manage multiple projects/programs simultaneously
- Positive and motivated self-starter with successful track record in changing environment; excellent organizational, teamwork and prioritization skills are essential
- Ability to communicate with clarity, impact and passion to help drive a growing EH&S program, and to collaborate across all levels of the organization to enable and drive change
- Ability to travel 50% including internationally