Associate Director, Cities, States and Regions (Maternity Cover)
Posted on Jan 24, 2019 by CDP
CDP has an exciting opportunity for an exceptional external-facing Associate Director to represent CDP globally by building strong relationships with strategic partners to advance city, state and regional action on climate change.
CDP is a leading international charity founded 17 years ago to address dangerous climate change. It has since grown to become the world's foremost system for cities, states and regions, and companies to report on carbon emissions, water stewardship and deforestation. We operate key hubs in London, New York, Berlin, Sao Paulo and Hong Kong with other representation in Japan, India and China. Over 600 city governments and 120 state and regional governments worldwide use CDP's system every year to report their progress on tackling climate change. Major universities, the UNFCCC, the World Bank, the IPCC, and hundreds of other organizations rely on CDP's data for research and decision-making.
You will work within the growing cities, states and regions team, reporting to the Global Director, Cities, States and Regions. You will be a senior member of the cities, states and regions team andwill line manage a team of four experienced managers across North America, Latin America, APAC and EMEA who are responsible for growing the program in their geography, building relationships with cities, states and regions, forging key regional partnerships, and fundraising. You will also line manage the Senior Engagement Officer for Cities
Key responsibilities include:
- Manage and develop CDP's strategic relationships with key organisations working with sub-national governments, such as C40, ICLEI and the Global Covenant of Mayors for Climate & Energy to maximise opportunities to drive city action on climate change
- Contribute to the successful implementation of a strategically important collaboration with ICLEI to link the CDP and Carbonn Climate Registry reporting systems
- Line manage four regional managers and an engagement officer to engage and work with cities, states and regions and enhance and maximize opportunities for collaboration at a regional level to support cities, states and regions
- Support the Global Director, Cities, States and Regions, in rolling out CDP's strategic plan by implementing the team's 5-year program plan globally, raising the program's profile externally and identifying opportunities to fund key pieces of work
- Liaise with the communications team to develop and implement the communications plan across our global regions and in close cooperation with our partners
- Present CDP's vision for low carbon and resilient cities, state and regional governments to a wide range of high-level audiences through round tables, webinars and other events
- Deputise to the Global Director, Cities, States and Regions and work closely with the wider CDP team to encourage the promotion of all CDP programs and activities.
Required skills and experience:
- A minimum of five years' experience managing relations at a senior level in the NGO, charity, corporate, or governmental sphere, preferably in climate change
- An understanding of the issues of climate change in cities and the field and actors working on international climate change mitigation/adaptation in cities, states and regions
- Politically savvy and able to effectively interact with high level management and government officials
- Ability to build a strong professional network, and develop and maintain key relationships with peers and funders
- Previous skills and experience managing a team-preferably global
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and presentation skills in English. Other European languages would be an advantage
- Positive and enthusiastic outlook in a fast-paced environment
- Experience working internationally and across cultures.
The role is based in one of CDP's global offices. The successful candidate will work 5 days per week with occasional evening work and frequent international travel. This contract is a fixed-term, maternity cover role for 12-14 months from February 2019.
Interested applicants must be eligible to work legally in at least in one country where CDP has an office* for the entire period of the contract. We are not able to sponsor this position. Please include in your application which country CDP has an office in that you have the right to work in. *Berlin, Beijing, Hong Kong, Delhi, London, New York, São Paulo, Tokyo
UK benefits: Competitive NGO salary, flexible working, annual collective performance bonus scheme, 24 days holiday per annum, pension provision up to 8% of salary after 3 months employment.
Interested? Please send a copy of your CV with a cover letter explaining how you meet the key responsibilities; why you are interested in this role and how it fits with your career plans, via the button below.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, so early applications are encouraged. The deadline for applications is 25 January at 5pm GMT.
Due to the high volume of applications, we are unable to respond to all applicant.