Posted on Jan 19, 2019 by Academy for Urban School Leadership - Illinois
Dewey School of Excellence is seeking an experienced Music Teacher who is highly qualified to teach at an AUSL managed - Chicago Public School. This position will be staffed with a professional educator who has a proven track record of providing excellent learning experiences, utilizes a variety of instructional strategies, and deepens students' understanding of multiple literacy concepts. We anticipate candidates with superior content knowledge will collaborate with other classroom teachers in planning units that integrate learning and are aligned with Common Core standards.
Dewey School of Excellence, located in the Englewood neighborhood, is in its 5th year of turnaround with the Academy of Urban School Leadership. Our mission is to ensure that all of our students graduate from college and we work relentlessly to provide our students with opportunities that would not otherwise have. Since the turnaround, Dewey has moved from the 3rd worst performing school in the state of Illinois to Level 1 School (second high rating in CPS) and from "Unorganized" on the University of Chicago 5 Essentials Survey to "Well Organized." We have made significant gains at Dewey through living our Core Values of Belief, Unity, Perseverance, and Dedication to Excellence every day.
We value having teacher leaders throughout the school and staff members have a large voice in how we DEW things at Dewey. We are looking for teacher leaders who have a track record of success in the classroom and seek to continually push their practice. At Dewey we say that "We're Different" because we know that to get results we need to be passionate, persistent, and innovative.
* Set goals for student achievement supported by a guaranteed and viable curriculum
* Work collaboratively with peers to ensure student success while also participating on the multidisciplinary team to promote students' well-being
* Serve as an advocate for students with diverse needs
* Use informal and formal assessments to support the development of students
* Collaborate with fellow teachers to create a data-driven, learner-centered, friendly and safe environment demonstrating shared responsibility for achievement
* Design engaging and personalized instruction that nurtures and empowers the whole child resulting in improved student achievement
* Maintain a classroom that demonstrates discipline, order and rigor
* Engage in professional development and coaching to improve practice from full-time AUSL coaches and school administrators
The teacher hours are Monday - Thursday 7:45am - 3:15pm and Fridays 7:45am - 12:45pm. In some AUSL schools, staff may be asked to teach after-school programs for one hour, three days a week; and attend after-school staff professional development for teachers one day per week. Salary and compensation for after-school hours will be paid according to the Chicago Teacher Union (CTU) collective bargaining agreement.
* Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in education
* Current Illinois Educator License with appropriate endorsements
* Urban / high-needs teaching experience preferred (
* Reside within the city of Chicago (Residency waivers are provided for subject areas deemed by CPS as special needs. Contact CPS directly regarding residency waivers.)
In order to be considered for a position or an interview, applicants must:
* Submit application online
* Permit classroom observation/s by members of the teacher selection committee (if applicable)
* Permit one or more interviews by a school leaders/selection committee
Legal Statement (Title IX): It is the policy of the Board of Education of the City of Chicago not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, disability or sex. Inquiries concerning the application of Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 and the regulations promulgated there under concerning sex discrimination should be referred to the Title IX Officer, Chicago Public Schools, 42 W. Madison St., Chicago, Illinois 60602, (TTY-).