Sr. Project Consultant, Custom Analytics
Posted on Jan 16, 2019 by S&P Global
The Role: Sr. Project Consultant, Custom Analytics
The Location: Denver, New York, Houston, or London
The Team: At S&P Global Platts, you are part of a global team working at a fast pace, with ever-expanding ways of offering essential intelligence to your clients. The Custom Analytics team itself consists of 5 professionals.
The Impact: The Sr. Project Consultant will collaborate with all S&P Global Platts' Content teams in order to assemble commodity, economic and financial information specific to a physical commodity market or inter-related markets. The Sr. Project Consultant will conduct market sector and statistical analysis and interpret key market data and information. The Sr. Project Consultant will work with the teams responsible for the development of the company's commodity analysis and content, including the offices in Denver, London, Singapore, New York and Houston. The Sr. Project Consultant will perform high levels of analytics including modeling.
What's in it for you: This person would be placed on a steep and challenging learning curve and will be expected to be adept with cross-commodity and cross-geographical subject matter including natural gas, LNG, power, crude oil, refined products, and natural gas liquids (NGLs and LPG), building a knowledge base of these commodities globally, along with nuanced understandings of competing/complementary/interrelated markets, such as coal, renewables and petrochemicals. Numerous opportunities abound to showcase this person's managerial ambitions, professional presentation abilities and thought leadership qualities that could lead to middle and higher-level management positions within the organization and beyond. Previous incumbents have moved on to positions including Global Head of NGLs and Petrochemicals Analytics, Sr. Manager Consulting, Director Client Strategy Global Majors, Client Development Manager, and Sr. Energy Analyst.
- Originates and designs revenue-generating external Custom Analytics projects, along with some internal support and advisory projects that build analytics and support the existing and future suite of Platts Analytics products
- Works with prospective clients to design Custom Analytics projects; negotiates the scope of work, the timeline and fee schedule with the client; works with team manager and in-house counsel to facilitate the execution of the documents to close the deal
- Directs and produces external Consulting projects through final fulfillment and presents findings to client teams including C-suite, Board of Directors and Senior and Middle Managers
- Collaborates with senior analysts, and mentors junior analysts, on other S&P Global Platts teams to develop the subject-matter expertise required for in-depth analysis for Custom Analytics projects, and to maximize available resources for the timely and accurate execution of projects for clients
- Presents at public-speaking events, including Conferences and Forums produced by Platts' Conferences and Marketing teams, as well as select and strategic third-party events, as a vehicle for business development and the branding of S&P Global Platts as an Analytics provider (in addition to its core price assessments business and editorial content)
- Participates in occasional ongoing client engagement activities in collaboration with Commercial teams, building client relationships, sharing market views and analysis through presentations and client meetings fostering business development, client satisfaction and the branding of S&P Global Platts as an Analytics provider
What We're Looking For: We're looking for someone who is a critical thinker experienced in and constantly curious about physical energy commodity markets, one who can solve problems with data and information, yet also knows that some things are unknowable; this person knows how to tell the difference. If you're right for this role, you'll be a polished professional, an inquisitive, conscientious, and effective problem solver and communicator, one who thrives in a dynamic environment where market-moving changes occur every day, and where you'll be surrounded by high-energy, intelligent and creative people who are enthusiastic about understanding and explaining markets to their clients.
- BA/BS in Mathematics, Economics, Engineering, Business, and/or related fields of study preferred; graduate degree is a plus, and equivalent experience within the academic discipline also considered
- Experience in energy commodity markets, especially trading or analytics
- Professional and polished communication skills that implement good listening techniques, precise interviewing skills, outstanding interactive verbal skills, and a clear and concise writing ability; the ability to communicate across a wide range of cultures, groups and personalities, internally and externally, is essential
- Strong analytics capabilities/strengths with data analysis and a broad scope of knowledge including proficiencies with data sets and scripts, codes, and languages, in addition to commodity market industry knowledge
- Ability to work well in a team environment, focusing on collaboration and adapting to the changing priorities of clients and internal stakeholders, within the context of a large and diverse team
- Ability to work long hours and travel often (10-30%, often on short notice and globally)
- Language skills beyond English considered a plus
Sr. Project Consultant, Custom Analytics