Sustainability/ESG Business Development Manager
Posted on Jan 24, 2019 by S&P Global
Trucost, part of S&P Global, provides data, tools and insights so corporations can understand financial risks related to their enterprise, communicate environmental performance, and develop new business opportunities with greener products. Trucost has spent the last 20 years researching, standardizing and validating environmental data for the world's largest companies and investors. Trucost's corporate clients have included Dell, Novo Nordisk, Ecolab, Biogen, General Mills, Sprint, and Puma among many others.
Trucost has an exciting opportunity for a Business Development Manager to join the Corporate Business division. The role is a business development position to support and grow Trucost's sales of ESG data and analytics to companies around the world, with a focus on US markets. This is a varied role which requires a flexible individual to work independently as well as part of a global team.
The Role: As a Business Development manager you are responsible for promoting and consultatively selling a portfolio of ESG products to current and target customers at large multinational corporations. You will identify key decision makers and influencers with target prospects and execute a sales strategy collaboratively with other sales members, service delivery, product management, marketing, and legal to optimize product and service delivery.
The Location: New York City or San Francisco
The Impact: Your contribution and dedication to your role is critical as you have a direct impact on business generation and helping companies improve their ESG performance. You will be able to lead from the front and have direct impact for future growth. In doing so you will get help clients identify needs while providing ESG solutions utilizing our products and tools.
The Career Opportunity: As a key player within the sales team, you will have the opportunity to work with major key clients. This is a great opportunity for you to grow professionally as well as contribute to the growth of the business.
The Team / The Business: We value partnership and it is crucial that you are a great teammate in order to be successful within our organization. We reward hard work, dedication, and self-starters. We believe that no one part is more valuable than the sum of the whole; we need everyone to achieve our goals.
- Identify new opportunities within the designated territory
- Set up appointments with senior level sustainability executives of these organizations
- Stay current with industry news and issues to understand the potential impact to your current prospects and find new opportunities
- Coordinate and provide sales demonstrations
- Follow up to negotiate contract terms and pricing and secure the executed contract
- Maintain focused approach to daily sales activity pipelines and systems based workflow (i.e. Salesforce.com)
- Stay up to date on industry specific ESG knowledge necessary to have credible diagnostic conversations
- Establish and maintain client accounts, including following up on new opportunities, setting up meetings, planning and preparing presentations, writing proposals and closing new business
- Manage long-term client relationships to continue to identify new business opportunities
- Work with clients to advise on integration of Trucost data and research in their business strategies and decision-making and supporting them in use of Trucost's data and tools
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of experience in a new business sales role
- Previous experience in Quota carrying role and a track record of exceeding sales targets
- Knowledge of corporate business processes and how ESG issues create company value or avoid risk. Understanding of corporate environmental sustainability best practices, in particular related to ESG disclosure, supply chain and supplier ESG risks, and accounting for environmental and social impacts
- Experience working with large multi-national corporations or professional services organizations in a client service, sales and product support role/setting.
- Proficiency in MS Office, PowerPoint, Excel and Salesforce.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including confidence presenting to large groups, proposal writing, and enjoy networking and meeting new people
- Self-motivated and results oriented, with a positive, "can do" attitude
S&P Global Market Intelligence is a division of S&P Global (NYSE: SPGI), which provides essential intelligence for individuals, companies and governments to make decisions with confidence. For more information, visit, S&P Global Market Intelligence
S&P Global is an equal opportunity employer committed to making all employment decisions on the basis of merit, capability and equality of opportunity, and without regard to race/ethnicity, gender, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status (including domestic partnerships and civil unions), sexual orientation, military veteran status, unemployment status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law, or any other characteristic that has no bearing on a person's ability to perform his or her job.
Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment. If you need an accommodation during the application process due to a disability, please send an email to: and your request will be forwarded to the appropriate person.
Sustainability/ESG Business Development Manager