Vice President - Credit Policy & Review
Posted on Jan 24, 2019 by Morgan Stanley USA
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
The talent and passion of our people is critical to our continued success as a firm. Together, we share four core values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic:
1. Putting Clients First
2. Doing the Right Thing
3. Leading with Exceptional Ideas
4. Giving Back
Morgan Stanley is committed to helping its employees build meaningful careers and we strive to be a place for people to learn, achieve and grow.
Firm Risk Management
Firm Risk Management (FRM) enables Morgan Stanley to achieve its business goals by partnering with business units across the Firm to realize efficient risk-adjusted returns, acting as a strategic advisor to the Board and protecting the Firm from exposure to losses as a result of credit, market, liquidity, operational, model and other risks.
Our mission is to serve as the follow roles:
· Independent agent to set consistent principles and disciplines for risk management
· Strategic advisor to Firm management for setting risk appetite and allocating capital
· Industry leader to influence and meet regulatory standards
You will collaborate with colleagues across FRM and the Firm to protect the Firm's capital base and franchise, advise businesses and clients on risk mitigating strategies, develop tools and methodologies to analyze and monitor risk, contribute to key regulatory initiatives and report on risk exposures and metrics to enable informed and strategic decision-making. Through thoughtful analysis and clear communication we are best able to bring our ideas to the table and improve the Firm.
Firm Risk Management values diversity and is committed to providing a supportive and inclusive workplace for all employees.
Firm Risk Management's unique franchise promotes:
ü Flat, flexible and integrated global organization
ü Collaboration and teamwork
ü Credible, independent decision-making
ü Organizational influence
ü Creative and practical solutions
ü Meritocratic and diverse culture
The cornerstone of Morgan Stanley's risk management philosophy is the execution of risk-adjusted returns through prudent risk-taking that protects Morgan Stanley's capital base and franchise. Credit Risk Management protects the firm from exposure to losses resulting from defaults by our lending and trading counterparties.
Background on the Position
Morgan Stanley Credit Risk Management is recruiting a Vice President for the Credit Policy, Governance, and Regulatory Relations group. This group oversees the development of Credit policies and procedures and manages Credit related regulatory exams and internal audits. Its key functions are to establish Credit policy and governance standards and to spearhead remediation projects related to regulatory and audit findings. The group works in close collaboration with subject matter experts in Credit Coverage, Capital, Risk Analytics, and Reporting, as well as other departments within the Firm.
The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in Credit Risk Management, knowledge of risk and finance issues related to wealth management, private banking activities, lending, and trading, and familiarity with Fed, OCC and SEC regulations. This position offers opportunities to gain exposure to all aspects of Credit risk and to senior risk managers.
· Develop and update Credit policies and procedures, taking into account current regulatory expectations and Firm practices. Analyze key upcoming regulatory guidance to assess level of compliance with current practice.
· Manage regulatory exams and coordinate related deliverables and presentation materials.
· Assist in the Firm's communication with regulators regarding Credit related issues.
· Oversee senior management reports on regulatory exams, internal audits, and credit reviews.
· Initiate and execute various projects related to Credit policy, governance, and regulatory guidance.
· Bachelor in economics, accounting, finance, or related field
· Strong credit skills
· Minimum 6 - 8 years of experience in a related field at a large financial institution
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Superior analytical thinking and problem solving skills
· Proven leadership abilities and relationship building skills
· Ability to work independently and collaboratively
· Significant attention to detail
· Ability to work effectively on multiple projects under tight deadlines
· Knowledge of financial services industry regulatory guidance
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office
· Experience interacting with large bank/securities regulators (e.g. FRB, OCC, SEC, PRA, FINRA, CFTC)
· Experience with wealth management products and services is preferred.
Vice President - Credit Policy & Review