Japanese Speaking Paralegal
Posted on Jan 20, 2019 by Anonymous
The firm has a friendly, progressive and mutually supportive working environment along with a smart casual dress policy and stylish modern offices.
This role is designed to support the IP services being offered to an increasingly growing Japanese client base. This person uses their Japanese language skills and their knowledge of the local Japanese market to work closely with those clients whilst providing on the ground paralegal support to the fee earners who comprise the Japan Team.
The primary duties and responsibilities for this role are listed below.
* Prepares documents ready for on-line filing of UK, EPO and PCT Forms, plus CTM applications via EUIPO and Madrid Protocol applications (where applicable)
* Updates prior art files, and prepares IDS and Section 8 (where applicable)
* Demonstrates fast accurate typing skills, and excellent spelling, grammar and punctuation
* Prepares correspondence and legal documentation accurately and with minimal supervision
* Understands company documents, and ensures documents are named and stored in the correct places
* Understands Records procedures, and forwards correspondence to Records in a timely fashion
* Checks Diary Lists on a regular basis
* Has strong organisational skills, acting on own initiative, highlighting issues and suggesting possible solutions
* Takes ownership of enquiries, resolving or escalating as appropriate
* Organises and prioritises their own workload
* Builds rapport, getting to know the clients they work with, and building professional relationships with key contacts
* Keeps a level-headed approach in a busy working environment
* Actively sources and shares knowledge with others
* Builds a network of strong working relationships both internally and externally
* Demonstrates a client-oriented approach (both for internal and external clients)
* Provides general support to other Fee Earners, and for colleagues (as and when required)
* Attends to any reasonable client-specific requests
* Prepares standard reporting emails/letters to client, including filing reports, publication, acceptance and grant
* Prepares foreign filing instructions and examination requests
* Adds service and official fees to WIP, prepares invoices and other responsible paralegal (RPA) duties
Japanese speaking Business Support
* Responsibility for data entry onto the CRM record system of Japanese business contacts which we use for managing our prospects, potential new clients, and existing clients' information
* This will require an efficient, accurate and consistent approach to handling a large amount of data
* Updating the CRM database with any notes from meetings or calls conducted by fee earners in the Japanese team
* Research and liaison with Japanese businesses in preparation for business development trips
* Ensuring Fee Earners are well prepared for business development trips to Japan
* Identifying potential new business leads in Japan
* Developing and maintaining the Japanese language version of the company website
* Advising internally on Japanese business and culture, especially relating to firms involved in Intellectual Property and/or innovation
* Dealing with incoming Japanese communication and responding on behalf of the Fee Earners in English or Japanese as necessary
* Coordinating Japanese language communication with clients, including translating between English and Japanese where necessary
* Preparing correspondence with accuracy and minimal supervision
* Organising and prioritising workload
* Keeping a level-headed approach in a busy working environment
* Carrying out background research and presents findings
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate:
* Native-level written and spoken Japanese language skills, including a thorough understanding of the use of Japanese within a business environment.
* Excellent written and spoken English language skills.
* Experience of Japanese business culture and customs allied to a general understanding of Japanese culture.
* Practical experience of working in a Japanese working environment
* Familiarity and/or competence with Microsoft Office applications, including but not limited to Excel
* Previous experience working within IP (or a firm that has an IP arm).
* Experience in an IP Firm would be highly desirable
* Experience of similar database (Inprotech) (desirable)
* Experience of a Document Management Systems (desirable)
* Experience with a CRM platform
* Experience in researching markets and potential target clients & events
* Experience of handling, cleansing and manipulating data in a CRM environment would be advantageous
* Educated to degree level (desirable).
* Excellent organisational skills, the ability to communicate effectively and ensure deadlines are met
* The ability to work autonomously (i.e. without constant reassurance or guidance)
* The ability to prioritise and work well under pressure
* The ability to fosters trust and understanding within the team by:
* showing willingness to assist when requests come in
* showing concern for others by offering to cover
* being positive and responsive to requests