Senior Associate, Forensics Intelligent Review
Posted on Jan 15, 2019 by PWC-1
A career in our Forensic Services practice, within Forensic Accounting services, will provide you with the opportunity to help our clients understand where they might have vulnerabilities and develop solutions to manage the risks involved. We prevent, respond to and remediate a wide range of business threats, risks and complex issues.
Our forensic specialists provide solutions and support for clients dealing with regulatory and crisis situations. As part of the team, you'll help provide support to our clients who wish to investigate potential financial crime, support clients responding to regulatory enquiries, deal with cybersecurity breaches and provide expert advice and opinions in legal proceedings. You'll also help clients review and remediate systems and controls to prevent further issues.
Who we are
Forensic Services is a rapidly expanding business within PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP (PwC), providing excellent opportunities to work in a busy, challenging commercial environment. Our innovative work includes major investigations, addressing rogue trader or bribery allegations, assisting with commercial and transactional disputes across all industry sectors and contract review. Business threats, financial crime and projects in crises give rise to high profile and intellectually challenging work and we've been involved in some of the most high-profile and headline-grabbing assignments globally.
We currently have an opportunity for a highly driven qualified solicitor or barrister to join our Intelligent Review team (IR). This is an exciting opportunity for a qualified lawyer to work outside of traditional practice within a high growth team where they will play a key role in the oversight of projects and in the further development of PwC's legal support offering.
About the team
The Intelligent Review team supports our internal and external clients on large scale investigations, remediation, litigation projects and contract review. Our Legal Support service is increasingly becoming a key strategic support service to our clients; we are looking for a further qualified solicitor to add to our existing qualified team, providing additional legal review capabilities to our services. We combine highly skilled reviewers of diverse backgrounds with cutting edge technology to provide intelligent, efficient and effective review services on highly complex cases.
With rapid advances in the technology available to us to conduct our reviews, the opportunity to further develop the Legal Support offering has never been greater and we are looking to bring a talented individual on board who will play a key role in the continued growth and development of a specialised legal offering to service the growing market for our services. The future career development potential is considerable.
About the role
Responsibilities for successful candidates will include:
- Assisting with the management of multi-jurisdictional investigations, remediation, contract and litigation reviews. This will include assisting with project initiation, resourcing, client contact, supervising associates conducting review, conducting quality control, escalating issues to the Manager/Senior Manager, delivering training and feedback to the project team, and assisting the Manager/Senior manager with fee/scope management;
- Using legal knowledge and experience to assist the provision of a legal opinion by undertaking Second Level Review on various reviews and projects.
- Maintaining up to date legal knowledge and acting as a subject matter expert on a range of topics, drawing on industry knowledge and legal skill set to guide project teams throughout the review process;
- Contributing to the development of project teams, the application of internal processes and supporting IR team members in achieving team goals.
- Supporting the IR management team in the further development and growth of the IR team's services, in particular the Legal Support service and technology innovation.
- Opportunity for working from home? Potentially
- Amount of time client based Potentially 10% - 20%
- Opportunity for job sharing? No
- Need to travel/overnight stays away from home? Occasionally
- Opportunity for flexible working (hours)? No
- Amount of time PwC office based 80% - 100%
In addition to an enthusiastic attitude and positive approach, the following skills are required for this role:
- Qualified Lawyer (in Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland or England & Wales) with three or more years PQE, preferably gained in a commercial/corporate law firm;
- Strong litigation background, preferably in a commercial context;
- Knowledge and experience of large scale document reviews with the ability to project manage the process from instruction to completion;
- Law of privilege knowledge and experience;
- Self-motivated individual who can apply sustained and meticulous attention to detail with an ability to step back and assess the bigger picture;
- A highly analytical skill set with an ability to quickly grasp complex concepts and to evaluate large amounts of information for the purposes of identifying underlying key issues and their broader implications;
- An aptitude for innovation and learning, with an ability to identify opportunities and trends;
- Strong communication skills, with a focus on collaborative working, and acts as role model to motive others, promote teamwork and share knowledge;
- An ability to prioritise and meet deadlines and to delegate and multi-task at various levels, including strategic thinking;
- Strong IT and technical skills and an enthusiasm to further develop technology innovation and learning. This will include a focus on the use of new technologies and creative thinking in implementing bespoke review solutions.
- Project management experience, with a proven track record in delivering large scale projects in line with targets;
- Experience of a commercial environment, such as a background in consultancy, professional service firms and/or legal practice management;
- Fluency in a second language with an ability to translate documents into English;
- Experience in commercial due diligence, white collar crime investigations, civil litigation and the Civil Procedure Rules.
This role will appeal to a candidate who is looking for a new challenge outside of traditional practice with opportunities to work on a diverse range of projects for international clients within a global advisory firm, to manage their own projects/teams, to progress quickly and to contribute to the overall business strategy and development of a new and innovative legal service offerings for a growing global client base.
Our Deals business is an exciting, fast-paced and an ever-growing business that focuses on deals and crisis situations for our clients. Collectively, we deal with the types of situations you hear about regularly in the news and we provide support, insight and analysis to the management, shareholders and financiers of business.
The skills we look for in future employees
All our people need to demonstrate the skills and behaviours that support us in delivering our business strategy. This is important to the work we do for our business, and our clients. These skills and behaviours make up our global leadership framework, 'The PwC Professional' and are made up of five core attributes; whole leadership, technical capabilities, business acumen, global acumen and relationships.
We work in a changing world which offers great opportunities for people with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We seek to attract and employ the best people from the widest talent pool, as well as those who reflect the diverse nature of our society. And we aim to encourage a culture where people can be themselves and be valued for their strengths. Creating value through diversity is what makes us strong as a business and as an organisation with an increasingly agile workforce, we're open to flexible working arrangements where appropriate.