Vice President - Risk Process Validation
Posted on Jan 24, 2019 by Morgan Stanley USA
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
The talent and passion of our people is critical to our continued success as a firm. Together, we share four core values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic:
1. Putting Clients First
2. Doing the Right Thing
3. Leading with Exceptional Ideas
4. Giving Back
Morgan Stanley is committed to helping its employees build meaningful careers and we strive to be a place for people to learn, achieve and grow.
Firm Risk Management
Firm Risk Management (FRM) enables Morgan Stanley to achieve its business goals by partnering with business units across the Firm to realize efficient risk-adjusted returns, acting as a strategic advisor to the Board and protecting the Firm from exposure to losses as a result of credit, market, liquidity, operational, model and other risks.
Our mission is to serve as the follow roles:
· Independent agent to set consistent principles and disciplines for risk management
· Strategic advisor to Firm management for setting risk appetite and allocating capital
· Industry leader to influence and meet regulatory standards
You will collaborate with colleagues across FRM and the Firm to protect the Firm's capital base and franchise, advise businesses and clients on risk mitigating strategies, develop tools and methodologies to analyze and monitor risk, contribute to key regulatory initiatives and report on risk exposures and metrics to enable informed and strategic decision-making. Through thoughtful analysis and clear communication we are best able to bring our ideas to the table and improve the Firm.
Firm Risk Management values diversity and is committed to providing a supportive and inclusive workplace for all employees.
Firm Risk Management's unique franchise promotes:
ü Flat, flexible and integrated global organization
ü Collaboration and teamwork
ü Credible, independent decision-making
ü Organizational influence
ü Creative and practical solutions
ü Meritocratic and diverse culture
RPVG is an independent process verification function within Firm Risk Management (FRM ) focused on reviewing in-scope processes across Credit, Market, Liquidity and Operational Risk. Verification activities are performed to independently assess the adequacy and operating effectiveness of select processes owned and operated within FRM.
Background on the Team
Risk Process Validation Group is an independent validation and verification function across Firm Risk Management - Credit Risk, Market Risk, Liquidity Risk and Operational Risk. The team is focused on assessing the integrity of processes and controls within FRM as they support Basel regulatory risk-based capital calculations, the Allowance for Credit Losses for Credit Risk and Market Risk, regulatory requirements for Comprehensive Capital Analysis & Review (CCAR), the Advanced Measure Approach (AMA) for Operational Risk and assessing ongoing compliance with the Global Operational Risk Management Policies. Verification activities are performed to independently assess the adequacy and operating effectiveness of select processes owned and operated within Risk.
This opportunity includes working within a team of professionals to validate core FRM processes. The candidate should have strong familiarity with process design and assessment, the various Banking, Financial Holding Company and Basel regulations and the ability and desire to work within a moderate sized team.
· Perform independent validations of select Risk processes, including interpretation of FRB and Basel relevant regulations and implementation thereof;
· Manage direct reports as well as assist in the oversight of the broader team, which spans three regions (NYC, Budapest and Baltimore);
· Contribute to the broader advancement of the program through exploring new technologies and methods of validation (robotics, AI, data analytics, etc).
· Support execution of governance, risk assessment, process review and validation, monitoring and reporting and technology strategy;
· Leverage testing observations to contribute to improving the team ' s validation methodology and execution capabilities;
· Interface with key stakeholders, governing bodies and business partners to discuss the status of the validation work, results of test work, and quarterly reporting;
· Partner with Model Validation and Regulatory Reporting teams to support a unified validation program end-to-end.
· Eight to ten years of financial services experience
· Experience with core banking, investment and trading products, regulations and typologies;
· Strong risk, process and control validation/testing and/or assessment skills
· A prior role within consulting or internal audit covering risk processes is preferable;
· Strong technical understanding of the financial services regulatory environment, with a focus on Basel principles as it relates to Capital and Federal Reserve Capital Planning capital requirements and practices;
· Strong project management skills and ability to provide oversight across regions;
· Desire to contribute to a dynamic team and bring strong leadership;
· Strong communication, analytic, risk management, and computing skills;
· Advanced Excel knowledge; experience working with large data sets including deconstructing data sets and/or their associated queries; knowledge of general IT controls; business analyst experience;
· An undergraduate degree (B.A., B.S., or equivalent) required
Vice President - Risk Process Validation