Manager - Financial Decisions and Analysis - Leeds
Posted on Jan 20, 2019 by PWC-1
About the Team
Financial Decisions and Analysis (FDnA) is one of PwC's highest growth teams, having doubled in size over the last four years. We focus on the application of leading edge data analytics and financial modelling techniques to help clients make good decisions and solve problems.
Our work is focused on helping clients to prepare for and execute on M&A transactions and then drive value post-deal.
We are now looking to recruit an experienced manager to join our high performing team and support our continued growth. We are looking for people with a commercial mindset who can quickly get to the crux of business issues and deliver commercially "game changing" insight to our clients, enhancing the Deal value through compelling data analytics and / or modelling.
The successful candidate will have a track record of delivering financial modeling and/ or analytics solutions to clients in a professional services environment.
What we do
Every assignment is different, but we broadly define our offering under the key headings;
- Deal Analytics & Modelling - Increasing confidence in the deal by developing deal models and applying leading edge analytical software to provide commercial insight
- CFO Office - Here, we typically help our clients post-deal, working closely with CFOs to provide insight and increased transparency through strategic planning, short term forecasting and dynamic board reporting
- CEO Office - Again post deal, this is about identifying value creation opportunities using intelligent analytics e.g. product profitability, pricing, sales force effectiveness and strategic option analysis
Note that whilst these offerings sound different as they are about applying technology in different ways, all three involve the combination of commercial and technology skills to provide insight.
About the Role
As a Manager, you will be supporting a broad range of analytical assignments, stretching yourself across many different industry sectors and engaging directly with the senior management team and investors of our clients.
Your first assignment may be working with CFOs or CEOs of leading PE backed or FTSE listed businesses to:
- Improve clarity and transparency for investors and finance providers by developing a driver based integrated model which assists with the budgeting and forecasting
- Assess shareholder return by implementing rapid analytics to assess the value drivers of the target business
- Guide management's pricing decisions by evaluating the impact of price on margins and volume
- Understand the performance of different customers and products by applying techniques such as cohort analysis and clustering
- Bring together analytics and machine learning software to drive better decision making
Your responsibilities will include but may not be limited to:
- Working in multidisciplinary teams directly with our clients to use data analysis, visualisation and modelling to support the Deal process;
- Clear and concise communication of complex concepts and their business benefits to senior management (both internally and externally) from a range of backgrounds and business areas to help clients make robust, evidence based decisions
- Connecting the dots from disparate information streams (e.g. extracts from client system, management reports, contracts) and turning them into structured data that can be analysed as part of a Deal process to provide greater insight to our clients;
- Drafting reports and presentations and using data visualisation to explain our findings
As a Manager, you'll work as part of a team of problem solvers with extensive consulting and industry experience, helping our clients solve their complex business issues from strategy to execution. Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to
- Proactively assist in the management of several clients, while reporting to Senior Managers and above
- Manage complex projects
- Train and lead staff
- Establish effective working relationships directly with clients
- Contribute to the development of your own and team's technical acumen
- Keep up to date with local and national business and economic issues
- Be actively involved in business development activities to help identify and research opportunities on new/existing clients
- Continue to develop internal relationships and your PwC brand
Essential skills and experience
If you are naturally inquisitive, have an analytical mind and enjoy solving problems in a rigorous and logical manner, for a variety of different businesses then this is the role for you.
To be successful in this role, you will also need to demonstrate the following:
- Qualified ACA/ACCA or equivalent
- Track record of delivering financial modelling and/ or analytics solutions to clients in a professional services environment.
- Exceptional analytical and technical aptitude, possess both financial and commercial acumen and enjoy problem solving to understand the drivers of a business, analyse their data and use this to provide insight and advice to our clients;
- Have an entrepreneurial mindset and self-starter mentality, and be comfortable with a degree ambiguity with little supervision to come up with creative solutions to complex problems and develop these ideas into structured deliverable projects;
- The ability to manage time, prioritise tasks, self-review your work and produce deliverables of a high quality under tight client deadlines in time pressured environments;
- A strong desire to acquire and share technical knowledge with colleagues and clients
- Passion for innovation, technology and new tools, and applying and developing yourself to new areas (e.g. quickly getting up to speed with tools, analytical approaches and business challenges)
- The ability to build collaborative working relationships at all levels, establishing credibility both internally and externally
- Experience of M&A transactions
- Strong excel skills and a desire to develop these further (i.e. confident in formulae, model building)
- Relevant analytical/model building experience in industry or at a professional services firm
- Experience in developing deliverables in visualisation tools, such as QlikView, Tableau or PowerBI
- Experience with data structuring and use of software such as Alteryx
- Experience with assisting business development activities through working on bids and proposal responses
Our Deals business is an exciting, fast-paced and an ever-growing business that focuses on deals and crisis situations for our clients. Collectively, we deal with the types of situations you hear about regularly in the news and we provide support, insight and analysis to the management, shareholders and financiers of business.
The skills we look for in future employees
All our people need to demonstrate the skills and behaviours that support us in delivering our business strategy. This is important to the work we do for our business, and our clients. These skills and behaviours make up our global leadership framework, 'The PwC Professional' and are made up of five core attributes; whole leadership, technical capabilities, business acumen, global acumen and relationships.
We work in a changing world which offers great opportunities for people with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We seek to attract and employ the best people from the widest talent pool, as well as those who reflect the diverse nature of our society. And we aim to encourage a culture where people can be themselves and be valued for their strengths. Creating value through diversity is what makes us strong as a business and as an organisation with an increasingly agile workforce, we're open to flexible working arrangements where appropriate.