Medical Technologist - Microbiology Lab (SIGN ON BONUS)
Posted on Jan 18, 2019 by Ascension
Medical Technologist 1 - Lab Microbiology - Full-Time, Evening - Ascension St John Hospital - Detroit, MI. Shift will be 4 pm to 12:30 am. SIGN-ON BONUS OF $5,000 and Loan Forgiveness - Ask for details
Why Join Ascension?
Ascension St. John Hospital - Committed to providing care that treats the entire person-body, mind, and spirit-we've been a part of Ascension since 1999. We provide comprehensive prevention, primary care, and advanced treatment programs with more than 125 medical centers and seven hospital locations spanning four counties.
What Ascension Michigan has to offer:
• Power of Purpose: For us, work is more than the place we go each day. It's an environment that nurtures relationships, connects talent, and understands patients. Our innovative spirit impacts and influences the community that we serve.
• Culture of Teamwork: We encourage diversity of talents while offering the support of a multi-disciplinary team.
• Professional Development: By supporting our associates and their professional development, we ultimately enhance the care and services we provide to the community. Through this development, our associates find new opportunities for career advancement.
• Compensation/Benefits: At Ascension, we care for the people who are the foundation of our work to fulfill our mission: our associates. We offer a comprehensive benefit package inclusive of medical, dental, vision, retirement, and generous PTO. Associates can also take advantage of other great benefits like tuition reimbursement or adoption assistance.
• More Than a Job: Working for Ascension is more than just a job. It's a career where your talent and passion for delivering quality healthcare can make a difference for patients, team members, and the community.
• Opportunity for You to Impact Your Local Community: Last year Ascension provided over 1.8billion in free healthcare to those in need and without access. You will have the opportunity to offer your servants heart by volunteering with Ascension's Medical Mission at Home program and other community benefit initiatives.
What You Will Do at Ascension Michigan: Michigan physicians and associates have embraced changing times and growing communities to provide quality healthcare for our patients since 1844. We work in collaboration to provide compassionate, personalized care for all, especially those who need it most. We are the largest healthcare non-profit in the country. We are faith based - called to be the expression of God's healing love in the world. Ascension Michigan is comprised of 6 hospitals systems - coming together as one and uniting under the same mission. If you're looking for a career where you can put your skills and experience to work, make a difference every day and pursue your goals for the future, join our team. The qualifications you will need:
What You Will Do
As a Medical Technologist 1 with St. John Health-MI, you will have the opportunity to perform laboratory testing of patient specimens in one or more sections of the laboratory.
- Performs diagnostic/analytic testing of specimens. Interprets, documents and reports test results.
- Performs quality control testing, instrument maintenance and troubleshooting.
- Verifies analytic accuracy, precision, sensitivity and references ranges for test methods.
- Serves as a resource to staff as needed.
- Participates in orientation, education, and training of other laboratory and SJPHS personnel, residents, students, and consumers.
- Maintains knowledge of current trends and technical advances in laboratory operations, including attendance at inter/intra laboratory meetings and in-services.
- Assists with development and revisions of laboratory policies and procedures, data collection, or special projects as assigned.
• Required Credential(s):
• One or more of the following:
• One of the following is required: certification or certification eligible at hire and certified within one year of hire/transfer date as a Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS) by the American Society for Clinical Pathology Board of Certification (ASCP-BOC) or certification as a Medical Technologist (MT) by the American Society for Clinical Pathology Board of Certification (ASCP-BOC). Certification or certification eligible at hire and certified within one year of transfer/hire as a Medical Technologist in a single lab discipline by the ASCP-BOC is acceptable for positions within that lab discipline. Canadian Medical Laboratory Technologist certification by CSLT/CLMLS is also acceptable.
• Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college/university, including 16 semester hours of biological science (with one semester in microbiology), 16 semester hours of chemistry (with one semester in organic or biochemistry), one semester of mathematics or post-secondary diploma (Canadian applicants) required Successful completion of a NAACLS accredited Medical Laboratory Science program, or three years of acceptable clinical laboratory experience under the pathologist, in lieu of an accredited program, is required.
• One year of clinical laboratory experience as an ASCP certified scientist preferred. Must meet education/experience requirements as outlined by ASCP-BOC.
How to Apply: Consider joining Ascension St. John Hospital. If you are interested in joining the St. John Hospital team, click here to search for a job and complete an online application.
Current Associates should apply through the Associate Portal at follow this navigation: myAscension > myLinks > Associate Links > HR > My Career> Job Opportunities
Equal Employment Opportunity
St. John Providence Health System is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all associates and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, height, weight, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, veteran status or any other legally protected status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. The information requested on this application will not be used for any purpose prohibited by law. If you require assistance or an accommodation to complete this application, please let us know.
For further information regarding your EEO rights, click on the following link to the "EEO is the Law" poster:
EEO is the Law Poster Supplement
St. John Providence Health System provides reasonable accommodation so that qualified applicants with a disability may participate in the selection process. Please advise us of any accommodations you request in order to express interest in a position by e-mailing: . Please state your request for assistance in your message. Only reasonable accommodation requests related to applying for a specific position within St. John Providence Health System will be reviewed at the e-mail address supplied.
Thank you for considering a career with St. John Providence Health System.
Please note that Ascension will make an offer of employment only to individuals who have applied for a position using our official application. Be on alert for possible fraudulent offers of employment. Ascension will not solicit money or banking information from applicants.
St. John Providence Health System participates in the Electronic Employment Verification Program. Please click the E-Verify link below for more information.
E -Verify (link to E-verify site)