Freelance Tour Director
Posted on Jan 19, 2019 by Education First
EF Explore America
Hiring for positions in Boston, New York City, Washington D.C.
At EF Explore America, we partner with teachers to create 3- to 8-day, fully escorted educational travel programs for their students. Your role as the on-the-ground face of our company is the most important aspect of a remarkable customer experience.
Specifically, your job will be:
* Executing a travel itinerary and making the destination and sights come alive for your group
* Managing logistics and safety while providing a local, cultural, and historical narrative
* Providing educational commentary throughout the duration of the tour (on the bus, at the sites, and during free time)
* Giving your student traveler group a once-in-a-lifetime educational travel experience
Tour Directors represent EF Explore America with teachers, administrators, parents and students while on tour in destinations throughout the United States. Over the course of an educational travel program, you'll build rapport and develop relationships with your adult and student travelers, ensure that the group moves safely and efficiently among the locations on its itinerary, keep the group informed and engaged in their surroundings, and find ways to enhance the experience and delight your group.
Tour Directing is a fantastic and flexible role for someone who enjoys working independently, connects quickly with others, can think on his/her feet, and has a true passion for providing experiential learning opportunities to students. You'll join a team of charismatic and dedicated travel professionals, and benefit from all the resources and support you need to make each travel program you lead into a success story.
Our most visited cities are Washington, DC; New York City; and Boston.
Tour Directing with EF Explore America is seasonal contract work from March through June.
A successful EF Tour Director...
* Makes (sound) decisions independently
* Solves problems creatively with the needs of the group in mind
* Is extroverted, confident, and enthusiastic
* Leads and persuades others in a constructive way
* Knows when to follow the itinerary and when to head off the beaten path
* Partner with teacher leaders, bus drivers, and others to coordinate an enjoyable and rewarding educational travel program
* Assume primary responsibility for travelers' day-to-day safety and well-being
* Execute the pre-established travel itinerary and make changes as necessary
* Provide commentary and guidance to enhance the travel experience
* Offer advice on food, shopping, and tourism options during free time
* Travel and stay in hotels with the group throughout the educational travel program
* Manage tablet-based completion of teacher leader evaluation of the trip
* Maintain daily expense accounts, retain receipts, and meet trip budgets
* Send trip debrief reports and feedback in a timely fashion
If this sounds like you, we want you on our team! In order to be considered, you will go through an extensive interview process, have to provide two references, and successfully complete a background check.