Securities, Gset Sales Trading Team, Associate/VP, London
Posted on Jan 17, 2019 by Goldman Sachs International
Our core value is building strong relationships with our institutional clients, which include corporations, financial service providers, and fund managers. We help them buy and sell financial products on exchanges around the world, raise funding, and manage risk. This is a dynamic, entrepreneurial team with a passion for the markets, with individuals who thrive in fast-paced, changing environments and are energized by a bustling trading floor.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
The function of product leadership is critical for businesses where the client facing products are the primary drivers of revenues, market share and client rank. The candidate will be responsible for the direction of the algos as a product in addition to integrated management of the product lifecycle across functional groups. The candidate will also be responsible for coordination with global peers on product consistency and idea sharing.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS THE ROLE
The product manager is the resident expert and leads the entire process of creating great products and experiences, starting by defining client problems via user stories, design specifications, feature requirements. This entails not only command of the product details, but how to position a product, based on a deep understanding of the market, where our product fits in, the competition, client decision tree, our advantages and gaps.
- Subject Matter Expert on their lead product and competitive positioning, ultimately responsible to rally x-functional resources to be Top 3 by product.
- Commercially adept, can deeply engage clients on solutions and express product concepts orally and visually to varying levels of user sophistication.
- Ability to decompose client problems into key questions and user stories, then convert this context and scope into requirements for scalable solutions.
- Prioritise for delivery on timelines, without sacrificing product quality
- Provide Transparency on product priorities and conflicts to the business
- Execute the "go to market" strategy for each product
- Coordinate pitch of differentiation, prescriptive use cases, illustrative trade examples, OMS/EMS screenshots, relevant research, structured experimentation and analytics to convey functionality / quantify execution quality
- Librarian & Historian of the product documentation and disclosures
Tracking, Measuring, Observing
- Responsible for tracking business metrics, product performance metrics, key client trends & ranks, including penetration and rank trends, measuring execution performance & gleaning insight from the data.
- Responsible for continuous product observation , iteration, experimentation, new feature or version user acceptance.
- With the right tools, test drive the product to find issues proactively, and increase intuition of the client experience.
- 3 to 5 years of experience dealing with equity algorithms.
- Good understanding of EMEA market structure
- Understanding of equities cash markets and trading systems.
- Experience working with execution venues and their protocols.
- Experience with system architecture and design across both software and hardware
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills in both written and verbal mediums.
- Sense of ownership of their platform and ability to work with in a global team
- Experience of dealing with multiple projects at the same time
- Experience of dealing with prioritisation across multiple teams
LIKELY CANDIDATE BACKGROUNDS
Candidates could come from an existing product management role, electronic sales trading role or from a technical/engineering background.
Those candidates who are in an electronic sales trading role tend to be more technically minded and may feel they want to get away from the day to day support of clients and into a role where they can have more of a direct impact on how the algorithms are built and enhanced.
Those in a current technical / engineering role may feel they no longer wish to continue developing / programming and move to something that is more client facing but still very technical in nature. Product Management sits in between the client side of the business and the tech/engineering teams. It can fulfil the needs of those who want to remain in the technical role whilst engaging with clients to continually improve the overall offering to make it best in class.
ABOUT GOLDMAN SACHS The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm that provides a wide range of financial services to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments and individuals. Founded in 1869, the firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices in all major financial centers around the world.
© The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., 2018. All rights reserved Goldman Sachs is an equal employment/affirmative action employer Female/Minority/Disability/Vet.