Tax North Manager Indirect Tax
Posted on Jan 18, 2019 by PWC-1
A career in our Indirect Tax practice, within Tax services, will provide you with the opportunity to help our clients meet and manage their tax obligations across unique but ever changing tax specialties. You'll advise clients on their local and overseas tax affairs, while acting as a strategic consultant related to business analysis, managing indirect taxes, dispute resolution, and global enterprise tax solutions.
Our team helps our clients optimise cash flow and reduce risk by managing challenges related to indirect taxes. You'll support our clients with all aspects of indirect taxation related to global, regional and domestic projects as well as comprehensive restructuring and reporting value added tax projects.
As a Manager, you'll work as part of a team of problem solvers with extensive consulting and industry experience, helping our clients solve their complex business issues from strategy to execution. Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Proactively assist in the management of a portfolio of clients, while reporting to Senior Managers and above
- Be involved in the financial management of clients
- Be actively involved in business development activities to help identify and research opportunities on new/existing clients
- Contribute to the development of your own and team's technical acumen
- Develop strategies to solve complex technical challenges
- Assist in the management and delivering of large projects
- Train, coach, and supervise staff
- Keep up to date with local and national business and economic issues
- Continue to develop internal relationships and your PwC brand
Within the North we provide a full range of audit, tax and related financial advice to a portfolio of clients ranging from large plcs to small local businesses. The team is committed to providing pro-active Tax and business consultancy advice. As well as advising businesses of varying sizes, our clients operate across a diverse range of market sectors.
We are essentially a consulting business and little of our work is routine. Projects range from one-off initiatives providing bespoke solutions to specific problems, through to advising countries that are introducing VAT systems for the first time. One thing is guaranteed the Indirect Tax practice offers a wide variety of opportunities.
Some of the core areas you will work in are governance, risk and control across the end-to-end processes and departmental interactions; in, co and out sourcing of the reporting and compliance needs; data analytics and management in all its guises; shared services, BPO's and lean processing; and ERP, other accounting information systems, and tax engines.
The candidate will need to have a sound VAT technical base, Duty knowledge would also be advantageous, and be able to demonstrate credible experience in these areas of expertise. They will be a self-starter and have a passion and drive to take this forward.
About the role
You will need:
- Previous work experience within the Indirect tax arena. This could be gained through working in Customs and Excise, within Practice at a 'Big Four' firm or another reputable firm or from within Industry.
- Knowledge of the indirect tax market
- Proven work winning experience coupled with strong networking and relationship building skills.
- Client facing and business development skills.
- Commercial awareness. This may be gained through specific industry knowledge or through managing a number of clients in various industries.
- Ability to demonstrate strong analytical skills
- Flair for negotiating with VAT authorities in order to get the best result for your client.
- Strong interpersonal and team working skills.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Strong academic record and good exam progress
Who we're looking for
To join us as a Manager you will need
- To be CTA qualified or have substantial relevant work experience gained within the indirect tax field.
- People management skills with proven experience of delegation and project delivery through a team.
- The ability to fully take ownership of client relationships and be able to cross sell and network internally to ensure their needs are met.
- Business development skills - this will include marketing both in the external market place and internally across other lines of service.
- Strong technical skills coupled with the communication skills to explain complex issues in clear concise way to clients and non-tax colleagues.
- Strong interpersonal skills, which will be demonstrated through maintaining and developing key client relationships as well as team leadership roles.
- Must be a self-starter with the ability to market yourself and your team both internally and externally.