Senior Research Associate (Protein Team)
Posted on Jan 17, 2019 by Pairwise
Job ID 2
# of Openings 1
Category Research & Development
Pairwise believes healthy food should be affordable, convenient, and sustainable. We believe gene editing can be used to accelerate plant breeding in leveraging the natural genetic diversity in agricultural crops to address global food challenges. We are bringing the benefits of these new innovations both to producers and directly to consumers through the produce aisle of their local grocery store. Located in the Raleigh-Durham metro area Pairwise was formed in 2017 and has plans to add about 100 employees over the next year to help meet our aggressive product development goals.
Pairwise is looking to hire a motivated Senior Research Associate (SRA) in our Protein Sciences team. We are looking for a SRA with expertise in protein expression and purification from prokaryotic cells. Special emphasis will be placed on a candidate who has shown ability to purify proteins with low solubility, poor expression, or otherwise difficult to produce samples. Experience in solubility tag cloning and removal is preferred. Orthologous expression system experience including eukaryotic cells or in vitro translation is not required but could be of special consideration. The minimum experience/education level for this position is a BS with significant experience or an MS. Either education level requires substantial laboratory experience in protein purification. Ability to work independently and as a member of a team are both necessary.
- Bachelor or master's degree in a relevant field such as biochemistry, microbiology, or molecular biology
- Previous lab work experience required either in a professional setting or demonstrated lab skills through research in faculty labs
- Knowledge and experience keeping accurate scientific records via laboratory notebooks
- Experience and knowledge in laboratory safety including use of PPE, SDSs and proper handling and disposal of laboratory waste
- Ability to work collaboratively in a large lab setting
- Ability to work independently on individual experiments
- Transform plasmids into Escherichia coli , grow cells, induce expression, lyse cells, purify protein using column chromatography via FPLC (AKTA system), run SDS PAGE gels, and other similar tasks with the goal to purify milligram quantities of proteins.
- Test and optimize expression and lysis conditions for various protein designs
- Subclone genes into solubility-tag plasmid vectors and remove tags when necessary
- Potentially investigate orthologous expression systems or refolding experiments for insoluble constructs
- Generate professional reports for use by the protein sciences team
- Work closely with staff scientists to develop experimental strategy for targeted areas and bring those plans to life
- Develop your skill sets and bring new techniques and methodologies into the Pairwise research sphere
- Collaborate across multifunctional teams to find new insights