Communications Manager, S&P Global Ratings
Posted on Jan 24, 2019 by S&P Global
The Role: Communications Manager, S&P Global Ratings
The Location: New York, NY
The Team: As part of the Public Affairs group, the Communications team is the nerve center for external and internal communication efforts for S&P Global Ratings. With members in each region, it engages in highly correlated activities to support the S&P Global brand and the analytical and business objectives of S&P Global Ratings. Along with leading the development of key messages for S&P Global Ratings, they ensure their effective delivery across multiple channels to key external and internal audiences.
The Impact: We are recruiting for a high-caliber Communications Manager to be based in the New York office. This position reports into the Head of Americas Communications for S&P Global Ratings. As the successful difference-maker, you have a robust knowledge of the financial markets and strong track record in external communications. You are also skilled in developing and executing robust and effective strategic internal communications plans which align to the overall S&P Global and Ratings messaging on growth strategy, initiatives, policies, etc. and serve to engage and empower Ratings employees with effective, timely and consistent communication.
What's in it for you: In this role, you will have the opportunity to generate media coverage, develop journalist relationships and advise senior internal clients, promoting the company's product and service offerings.
- Work with the Ratings Communications Leaders and Ratings senior leadership to develop and execute internal and external global strategic communications that enhance engagement, shape and reinforce brand and culture in support of Ratings and S&P Global objectives
- Write key messages to be delivered to external stakeholders and Ratings employees worldwide
- Collaborate with corporate and division leaders, and other colleagues, to ensure global presentation of Ratings and S&P Global information; recommend communications best practices
- Partner with other S&P Global businesses to best support communications in showcasing our global brand voice
- Manage intranet content; develop feature stories, write organizational messages and create videos to promote corporate and Ratings strategies and initiatives.
- Develop and implement integrated internal communication programs and activities to ensure successful achievement of business objectives in Global Analytical Practices, Commercial, Operational and Regulatory & Control functions.
- Draft content, secure approvals, distribute and track internal announcements, events and other employee engagement activities; leverage metrics and insights to inform future communications.
- Work with S&P Global Ratings analysts and commercial leaders to plan and execute external communications activities to promote the S&P Global Ratings Division's analytical thought leadership and product and service offerings.
- Manage ratings-related media relations activities, including developing relationships with members of the media, drafting messages, coaching spokespeople, organizing events, pitching stories and handling incoming enquiries.
- Write press releases and media pitches in collaboration with internal stakeholders and external partners that promote S&P Global Rating's intellectual research, products, data, and research to the media.
- Work closely with the Americas and global communications team at S&P Global Ratings to carry out strategic initiatives in the press.
- Identify success metrics and accountabilities. Employ analytics tools (including media tracking databases) to measure effectiveness of communications (emails, intranet and video). Prepare regular reporting to management.
- Analyze markets, identify industry trends, and pinpoint developing news stories where S&P Global Ratings' thought leadership can be proactively positioned.
- Work with Ratings and Corporate communications teams to keep the Ratings intranet pages fresh and guide the departments in managing their sites.
- Write, direct, produce, garner approvals and measure executive and employee videos.
Functional and Business Knowledge
- Has broad knowledge of communications vehicles and how to use them effectively for the purposes of disseminating information, driving key stakeholder engagement and engaging employees in driving cultural change.
- Applies broad knowledge of S&P Global businesses to develop effective communications
- Able to influence direction and outcomes
- Works within own team and other functional or business areas to assist in improving internal communications
What We're Looking For
- At least 5+ years of relevant experience in a communications function (preferably in financial services), whether in-house, for an agency, or in the media, or a combination.
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent experience
- Effective communications skills (written, verbal and digital).
- Understanding and awareness of employee engagement and change management strategies
- Ability to operate in a matrix environment
- Fluent English required; Spanish and/or Portuguese-language skills are highly desired.
- Strong interest in financial markets.
- Confidence, enthusiasm and energy - proactive approach to communications.
- Strong relationship builder; works effectively at all levels of the organization
- Good team-worker, while also being able to take initiative, work independently and adopt a roll-up-the-sleeves approach
- Strong organizational and time management skills
At S&P Global, we don't give you intelligence-we give you essential intelligence. The essential intelligence you need to make decisions with conviction. We're the world's foremost provider of credit ratings, benchmarks and analytics in the global capital and commodity markets. Our divisions include S&P Global Ratings, S&P Global Market Intelligence, S&P Dow Jones Indices and S&P Global Platts. For more information, visit
To all recruitment agencies: S&P Global does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward such resumes to any S&P Global employee, office location or website. S&P Global will not be responsible for any fees related to such resumes.
S&P Global is an equal opportunity employer committed to making all employment decisions without regard to race/ethnicity, gender, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status (including domestic partnerships and civil unions), sexual orientation, military veteran status, unemployment status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Only electronic job submissions will be considered for employment.
If you need an accommodation during the application process due to a disability, please send an email to: and your request will be forwarded to the appropriate person.
The EEO is the Law
Poster describes discrimination protections under federal law.
Communications Manager, S&P Global Ratings