Risk Officer, Vice President
Posted on Jan 22, 2019 by Morgan Stanley USA
The Field Strategic Services (FSS) group within MSWM is responsible for transformational platform strategies that provide better tools for our Financial Advisors, support staff, and our clients.
The FSS Risk team is responsible for overseeing the operational risk and controls of Wealth Management's New Account Opening (NAO) and onboarding processes , certain systemic platforms and business unit(s) used in daily branch workflow processing, certain aspects of asset movement, as well as branch digitization and centralization projects. This team assesses risks, implements control processes and procedures, assists in managing audits and exams, partakes in the annual Risk and Control Self-Assessment (RCSA), tracks and reports on operational incidents and provides the FSS business with risk consultancy and guidance in the execution of business as usual tasks.
• Lead the execution of the annual RCSA process working closely with FSS
stakeholders to identify risks and controls, perform risk and control
assessments, identify control gaps, develop remediation plans, draft policies
and procedures and RCSA reporting and presentations.
• Obtain a thorough understanding of the aspects of the FSS business and
initiatives in order to advise on current and emerging operational risks.
• Report and track operational risks in the incident management system and
perform stakeholder analysis for all FSS related risks.
• Build trust and establish open lines of communication with business leaders
and control stakeholders such as legal, compliance, and risk managers in
order to facilitate agreement regarding business objectives, constraints, and
• Develop metrics, reports and key risk indicators (KRIs) in order to assess and
report informative data to the business, and other stakeholders.
• Represent the FSS Risk unit in meetings with senior business, functional and
risk management stakeholders, as necessary.
• Advise the business on standards for accepting certain risks, and on possible
improvements to the control suite.
• Minimum of 5 years of experience in financial services risk management,
Compliance or Audit roles, with Wealth Management experience preferred
• A demonstrable working knowledge of the RCSA procedures and practices
• Understanding of Wealth Management business
• Strong leadership skills to effectively manage several key priorities as well as
to work independently as necessary
• Demonstrate flexibility in a changing business environment and in dynamically
deploying skills as needed
• Ability to lead and work closely with various senior business, functional, and
risk management stakeholders
• Excellent written, verbal communication and presentation skills
• Excellent critical thinking skills and ability to work in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to collaborate and to promote teamwork
• Strong attention to detail and work ethic
Risk Officer, Vice President