Lead Developer - Java
Posted on Sep 21, 2022 by Methods Business and Digital Technology Limited
Methods is driven by a desire to improve public services for the benefit of all the people who use them, leveraging current technologies to deliver user centred solutions and having an internal culture that allows our staff to express themselves and be innovative.
The Open Platforms and Code team here at Methods is currently a small friendly team split across London, Cardiff, Birmingham and Edinburgh. We are looking to scale up our team to meet our clients' growing demand to deliver quality solutions.
As part of the team, you may be required to travel within the UK to meet and work with clients. But you will get to work on a wide variety of types of projects and learn and work with lots of different technologies. Our core technology stack currently includes Python, Go, Java, Node, C#, React and Ruby; but we believe in using the best technology for each situation, so we are always trying new tools and learning new languages.
As a Tech Lead at Methods you will be expected to take the lead of development teams on projects, promoting best working practices, providing support to other members of the team, making design decisions, carrying out code reviews and delivering high quality products.
During projects you will also be expected to work alongside the delivery manager to deliver the project as best possible, meeting with client stakeholders as required. Outside of projects you will be given personal development time and be expected to keep up to date with the latest technologies.
You will also contribute to bids and attend pitches for new work, have line management responsibilities for up to four developers, and be involved in the recruitment process, including taking on junior developers as mentees.
- Lead project teams, delivering high quality software through the agile process.
- Lead on the architectural design of projects
- Communicate with non-technical stakeholders, and be able to explain technical issues to them.
- Be involved in winning new work, assist with writing bids and presenting at pitches.
- Be part of the recruitment process
- Line management of up to four developers
- Mentoring junior developers.
- Help define and maintain best practices.
- Lead and participate in community events such as Hackathons
- Extensive experience with at least one of the languages in our tech stack.
- Extensive experience of software testing best practices (TDD, BDD)
- Extensive experience of using version control (Git, Github)
- Extensive experience with common software architectures (OOP, MVC) and database solutions
- Extensive experience with principles of continuous integration and deployment
- Extensive experience with cloud platforms (AWS, Azure, GCP)
- Extensive experience in agile ways of working and the associated tools
- Openness to new technologies and willingness to keep learning
- Good communication and problem solving skills
- Willingness to travel as required
- Experience with more than one of the languages in our technology stack
- Familiarity with web accessibility requirements and associated tooling
- Experience mentoring less experienced developers
- Experience of running project development teams
- Understanding of standard software security principles
Methods is passionate about its people; we want our colleagues to develop the things they are good at and enjoy.
By joining us you can expect
- Autonomy to develop and grow your skills and experience
- Be part of exciting project work that is making a difference in society
- Strong, inspiring and thought-provoking leadership
- A supportive and collaborative environment
As well as this, we offer:
Development access to LinkedIn Learning, a management development programme and training
Wellness 24/7 Confidential employee assistance programme
Social - office parties, pizza Friday and commitment to charitable causes
Time off 25 days a year
Pension Salary Exchange Scheme with 4% employer contribution and 5% employee contribution
Discretionary Company Bonus based on company and individual performance
Life Assurance of 4 times base salary
Private Medical Insurance which is non-contributory (spouse and dependants included)
Worldwide Travel Insurance which is non-contributory (spouse and dependants included)
Benefits Platform offering various retail and leisure discounts
This role will require you to have or be willing to go through Security Clearance. As part of the onboarding process candidates will be asked to complete a Baseline Personnel Security Standard; details of the evidence required to apply may be found on the government website Gov.UK. If you are unable to meet this and any associated criteria, then your employment may be delayed, or rejected. Details of this will be discussed with you at interview