Head of HR - Reading
Posted on Jan 17, 2019 by Oakleaf Partnership
Oakleaf Partnership are exclusively working in partnership with Brighter Futures for Children (BFfC) to appoint their Head of Human Resources to be based in their offices in Reading.
Brighter Futures for Children is a newly established and wholly owned subsidiary company of Reading Borough Council, it was created with the purpose of fundamentally changing and improving the way children's services are delivered in Reading.
This is a great and rare opportunity for a Head of HR to be fully involved with fundamentally developing and implementing the Company's culture, workforce management, recruitment and other HR programmes. The Head of HR will be able to truly shape the people strategy and culture for the business and be part of an exciting, yet challenging journey to enhance the delivery of Children's Services across Reading.
The Head of HR will be reporting to the Managing Director and part of the Executive Committee. They will guide, manage and provide strategy on the people function for BFfC.
The key responsibilities as Head of HR will be:
- Developing and implementing HR initiatives in line with BFfC organisational objectives
- Leading BFfC programmes regarding talent acquisition, talent pipelines and succession planning, learning and development, employee engagement, compensation and benefits, talent management HR systems and financial planning of the department. Liaising with RBC as needed for HR support in certain areas.
- Being innovative with training and development programmes to promote BFfC as an employer of choice for social workers, as well as other Children's Services specialists
- Handling day to day HR issues as they arise in connection with performance management, HR policy and so on; working to ensure BFFC managers are better prepared and confident to deal with HR matters in teams with support, as needed, from HR.
- Liaising directly with the ExCo and being accountable for the performance of the HR function as well as providing both operational and strategic counsel on all people matters
- Working to develop a permanent workforce, and reducing BFfC reliance on agency workers
- Leading the analysis of employee feedback and data, with the aim of creating a better working environment and engaged culture
- Managing the HR department's annual budget
- Taking oversight of the company's culture
- Liaising with Unions, as needed
- Be involved in strategic decision-making within BFfC as an influencer. Collaborating with the RBC HR Director to ensure policies and processes within BFFC are cognisant of issues under consideration at the Council; ensuring SLA with RBC delivers effectively
Required skills and competencies
- Be an accomplished HR generalist, ambitious and possibly looking for your first Head of HR role.
- Be creative and innovative with HR initiatives to allow BFfC become a go-to employer, yet understand that tight budget management is needed
- Have a strong working knowledge of employment law issues, best practice processes for disciplinaries, redundancies and payroll, as well as experience of employee relations
- Be an influencer to work across BFfC with managers and directors to ensure HR policy and employee engagement initiatives are rolled out and fully embraced
- Have good time management skills to prioritise competing demands and work at a pace to deliver a challenging agenda
- Lead the HR team, managing diverse personalities and viewpoints
- Be able to understand company finances, resourcing and the ultimate aims and values of the Children's Services business
If you would like to find out more about this excellent opportunity please contact Ella Milligan or Adrian Lewis on email for a confidential conversation.