Employee Relations Manager
Posted on Jan 21, 2019 by Michael Page Human Resources
As the Employee Relations Manager for this company in Abingdon, while managing a team of 3 you will act as an expert within the ER team, providing advice, guidance and recommendations for all employee relations matters including disciplinary, grievance, performance and capability issues. This role will manage the implementation of change programmes including redundancy and restructures, and TUPE transfers. You will travel circa once per week.
Our client in Abingdon is a provider of innovative solutions and services within the IT field.
Part of the wider Group HR team, the HR Operations team provides a specialist advice and consultancy service to managers on HR policy and practice, and employment law expertise across all elements of the employee relations lifecycle including disputes, grievances, attendance, well-being and employment terms and conditions. They also provide recruitment selection support on an ad hoc basis.
Working across the Group and alongside the HRBPs and centres of excellence, the role will manage the implementation of change programmes including redundancy and restructures, and TUPE transfers.
The Employee Relations Manager will both manage the team and play an active part in delivering its services. Whilst handling their own case load and implementations, they will act as a point of escalation for the team, and ensure the ongoing identification and implementation of continuous improvements.
- Supporting an employee population of c. 1,000 employees across 5 main sites.
- Management of team of 3
Employee relations case management
- Act as an expert within the HR team, providing advice, guidance and recommendations for all employee relations matters including disciplinary, grievance, performance and capability issues.
- For this role specifically, this will include complex case support, Employment Tribunals and settlement agreements.
- Provide comprehensive support via phone, email and face to face, ensuring consideration of the employee, business and customer needs.
- Monitor and advise on root causes, working with HR Business Partners to identify and implement actions to address.
Delivery of change programmes
- Working closely with HR Business Partners, manage business change programmes including implementation of redundancy and restructures, TUPE transfers, changes to terms and conditions.
- Support any due diligence / planning process and facilitation of implementing changes including managing consultations and external liaison with customers and unions
Policy and process
- Monitor changes to legislation and case law, ensuring RM policies, processes and practice remain compliant.
Proactively develop and maintain HR policies and processes, ensuring they remain current and fit for purpose - recommending and communicating changes where appropriate, including to the wider business.
- Develop and maintain manager toolkits and associated documentation.
- Identifying areas for development in line management capability, through analysis of data and insight of key performance drivers.
- Design and deliver appropriate solutions to support capability and build confidence, from structured training interventions through to coaching and shadowing support.
Process & Quality improvement
- Ensure the HR Operations case tracker and associated data is maintained, developed and able to provide accurate management information to meet business needs.
- Provide key HR metrics / data to the business to support the businesses with achieving strategic/ operational aims.
- Monitoring and adherence to internal SLAs, identifying areas for improvements.
- Manage spend on external legal advice and 3rd party providers.
- Manage the whistleblowing process as required.
- Support and develop a team of HR Operations Consultants to effectively support the whole RM Group, acting as a point of escalation..
- Provide development opportunities and improve team resilience, through knowledge sharing and resource planning for key projects.
- Coach, engage and empower to maintain a high performing team.
- Ensuring regular 1-1s and clear BAU/ stretch objectives.
To apply for this role of Employee Relations Manager in Abingdon, your profile will closely match:
- An Employee Relations specialist and Subject Matter Expert in this field.
- Proven people management and development experience.
- Experience managing TUPE transfers and change management programmes.
- Able to influence and coach a variety of stakeholders.
- Experience dealing with Trade Unions - preferred but not essential.
- Able to adapt style (written and verbal) and effective stakeholder management.
- Proven negotiation skill.
- Demonstrable problem solving and judgement.
- Analytical skills (interpret reporting.
- Able to be flexible in approach and style, resilient under pressure or uncertainty.
You must be happy to travel in the UK in the the delivery of this role - expectation is circa once per week on average.
This role offers benefits including:
- 10% bonus.
- 25 days holiday plus the opportunity to buy more.
- Good pension scheme.
- Private Healthcare.
Plus One Personnel