Posted on Jan 16, 2019 by Page Personnel
The purpose of the HR Officer is to provide an operational Human Resources service to the managers and staff that delivers best practice in HR management and statutory compliance.
This is a stand-alone HR role reporting to the Bursar, however support will be provided by the Bursar's PA and Compliance Manager.
An independent school, based in Richmond upon Thames.
Key responsibilities of the HR Officer include:
- Advise and guide senior managers on the correct procedures to be followed in managing basic staff grievance and disciplinary matters.
- Administer disciplinary and grievance investigations as appropriate, liaising with the Bursar and external legal advisors.
- Provide basic employment advice and practical support to senior managers as required.
- Advise staff on benefit schemes available from time to time (such as Ride to Work, Season ticket loans, SMT medical insurance) and administer these schemes in conjunction with the Finance Manager
- Assist the Finance Manager in the monthly payroll preparation and administration as required
- Oversee and administer the effective process for performance management of teaching and support staff from induction through probation as well as the annual performance appraisal and staff development.
- Advise senior managers on the correct procedures to be followed in managing staff performance including capability, absence and sickness.
Training and Development
- In conjunction with the Bursar develop, manage and implement the school's staff training and development policy.
- Ensure the effective induction of all new staff.
- Assist with Inset planning and delivering/participating in programmes as requested by the Senior Management Team
- Advise senior managers on appropriate staff training and development procedures.
- In conjunction with line managers analyse training needs for staff outside the appraisal process and make recommendations for and the sourcing of external courses where applicable.
- Ensure all staff (and volunteers and contractors where necessary) receive up to date child protection and safeguarding training.
The HR Officer will also be responsible for:
- Employment Legislation
- HR Processes and Information systems
- Recruitment and Selection
- Safe Guarding
This is a role that could offer a route to career progression, with the opportunity for support with training and CIPD qualification.
Key knowledge and skills required of the HR Officer are outlined below:
- A commitment to promoting the safeguarding and wellbeing of children
- Previous HR Advisor / Officer exposure
- CIPD qualified or willing to study towards a CIPD qualification (Desirable)
- Educated to degree level or equivalent (Desirable)
- Excellent IT skills, including the ability to use a range of relevant software packages such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and knowledge of an HR MIS (Desirable)
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to form effective working relationships with people at all levels
- Ability to work without regular supervision/management (Desirable)
- Exposure of working in a school or educational environment (Desirable)
- As the sole HR practitioner, to deliver the HR services as required, with a hands-on and 'can do' approach to work
- Flexible and adaptable to changing and occasionally conflicting priorities, capable of working under pressure
- Exposure of working in a regulated environment, with particular emphasis on Safer Recruitment and the Independent Schools' Inspectorate regulations. (Desirable)
- Awareness of the importance of data security and confidentiality, treating all information received in post in an appropriate manner and at all times demonstrating discretion and complying with the provisions of data protection law and the School's own privacy policies.
- Competitive salary
- Full-time post working all year round, 8.30am - 4.30pm.
- Six weeks' holiday per year (plus English bank holidays), generally not to be taken during term time.
- Contribution to Stakeholder Pension Scheme
- Free school lunches during term time
ROYAL BOTANIC GARDENS/KEW GARDENS