Category and Contract Manager - Waste
Posted on Jan 18, 2019 by Capita Managed Services
Essex County Council (ECC) is one of the largest and most dynamic local authorities in the UK, serving a population of 2 million residents, and has a very successful track record of delivering transformational change. ECC anticipated change was needed in the public sector and has worked to deliver better quality at lower cost. We have an ambitious transformation agenda - one with the scope to reach every part of the council. We are changing the way we think, the way we work, and the ways in which we deliver our services. We are committed to becoming a place where individuals, partners and communities feel proud to play their role and genuinely want to belong. We're immensely proud of our flexible working options.
This advert is for a post within the Essex County Council Procurement team, which is highly recognised within the profession by being the only CIPS accredited county council within the UK. The procurement team play a leading role in the transformation of ECC, currently managing a third party spend of circa £1.2b and are actively looking for outstanding candidates with great commercial acumen and experience to enhance the team.
The role of procurement is to work with stakeholders across ECC to understand requirements for goods and services, make an assessment of the market and determine the appropriate strategy for each spend area, then ensure the supplier and contract is managed effectively.
This role is for a post which will have a particular focus on Waste Management which is an exciting area of the organisation with an annual spend of circa £80m. Experience in this category is desirable, however, the ability to understand complex supply chains and interrelated contracts is essential as is the ability to work and communicate with colleagues from across the organisation up to and including Executive Director level. In addition to above, experience and skills for these roles would be:
Experience & capabilities:
* Experience of managing waste management contracts (Desirable).
* Experience of managing contracts within a complex supply chain.
* Experience of SoPC4 contracts (Desirable).
* Able to work productively with contractors in challenging environments.
* Strong communication skills.
* Able to disseminate complex issues (written and verbal) to internal and external stakeholders.
* Able to provide Effective management of technical consultants, ensuring appropriate expertise is derived, but cost limitations are maintained.
* Considerable Project management experience.
* Considerable self-confidence:
o able to hold suppliers to account in accordance with the contracts &
o sufficiently confident to escalate issues and challenge the wider project team, up to and including Director and Executive Director level.
* Lead the monthly Contract Meetings, reviewing minutes to ensure accuracy and following up on actions.
* Track record of identifying, reviewing and challenging performance issues with the supplier.
* Track record of providing commercial input (performance and contractual) into legal discussions.
* Ensure appropriate Identification, reporting and recording of contract breaches.
* Educated to degree level with a relevant professional qualification such as MCIPS and or equivalent demonstrable work experience with evidence of continuing professional development.
* Knowledge of category management and experience of using this methodology in complex commercial environments to deliver significant cost or service improvements.
* A demonstrable track record of managing multi-million pound strategic contracts in business critical environments. This should include evidence of defining, measuring and improving key elements of supplier performance.
* Experience of delivering continuous improvements in large, strategic arrangements with evidence of generating significant cost and service benefits.
* Knowledge of contract law and legislation relevant to the specific category / categories within their control and its impact on market management, finance and contractual arrangements.
* Extensive knowledge of public sector procurement law with an ability to explain the law to non-procurement staff and find pragmatic solutions to potential legal difficulties.
* Comprehensive negotiating skills appropriate to multi million pound contracts and experience of planning and delivering successful negotiations.
* Experience of working in a political environment and skilled in understanding and responding to different perspectives.
As part of employment with Essex County Council (ECC) should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please visit:
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees.
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.
Working for Essex welcome applications from all suitably qualified people regardless of gender, race, disability, age or sexual orientation.
Working for Essex is a trading name of Capita Resourcing Ltd. Services offered are those of an Employment Agency and Employment Business. Applicants will be required to register with us.
Hudson York Farrell
Hudson York Farrell
Hudson York Farrell