Lead, Plant Cell Biology
Posted on Jan 23, 2019 by Pairwise
Job ID 2
# of Openings 1
Category Research & Development
Pairwise believes healthy food should be affordable, convenient, and sustainable. We believe gene editing can be used to accelerate plant breeding in leveraging the natural genetic diversity in agricultural crops to address global food challenges. We are bringing the benefits of these new innovations both to producers and directly to consumers through the produce aisle of their local grocery store. Located in the Raleigh-Durham metro area, Pairwise was formed in 2017 and has plans to add about 100 employees over the next year to help meet our aggressive product development goals.
The plant cell biology lead will be responsible for implementing protoplast systems in a number of plant species and tissues for both the purpose of evaluating gene targeting efficacy and some phenoptypic assays. This senior scientist will manage a team of PhD scientists and research associates that will deliver the core protoplasting pipeline to support both the development of novel gene editing technologies as well as product concepts. This role will also be part of Pairwise's scientific team and report to the head of gene editing tools. This position will be critical to not only building the scientific strategy but also the culture of our R & D organization as the company grows.
- Develop protoplasting capabilities in a variety of plant species and tissues
- Manage the plant cell biology team to deliver a protoplasting pipeline supporting R & D
- Research into novel methods related to protoplasting
- Identify, hire and retain the best scientific talent from cell biology, plant physiology and molecular biology
- Collaborate with universities and other scientific organizations to bring diverse thought into Pairwise
- PhD in Botany, Plant Science, Plant Physiology, Cell Biology or related field focused on plant-based research with strong preference to a demonstrated track record of success in creating, maintaining and manipulating plant protoplasts
- 5+ years experience managing scientific teams
- Strong track record of formulating research programs
- Demonstrated ability to deliver scientific results in a cross functional environment