Lead, Product Discovery Molecular Biology
Posted on Jan 23, 2019 by Pairwise
Job ID 2
# of Openings 1
Category Research & Development
Pairwise believes healthy food should be affordable, convenient, and sustainable. We believe gene editing can be used to accelerate plant breeding in leveraging the natural genetic diversity in agricultural crops to address global food challenges. We are bringing the benefits of these new innovations both to producers and directly to consumers through the produce aisle of their local grocery store. Located in the Raleigh-Durham metro area, Pairwise was formed in 2017 and has plans to add about 100 employees over the next year to help meet our aggressive product development goals.
The molecular biology lead will be responsible for bringing forward the wealth of tools available to the modern molecular biologist to help answer specific questions related to gene function and allelic variation as well as helping to set the scientific strategy. This senior scientist will manage the day to day activities of a focused team of research associates that will be critical to the understanding of the underling genetics of the various traits Pairwise will work on. This role will also be part of Pairwise's scientific team and report to the head of product discovery. This position will be critical to not only building the scientific strategy but also the culture of our R & D organization as the company grows.
- Develop and lead an innovative team of molecular biologists advancing Pairwise product concepts
- Lead development experimental plans targeting Pairwise product concepts including setting clear goals, milestones and budgets
- Drive collaborations with universities and other scientific organizations to bring diverse thought into Pairwise
- Work across a scientific matrix to enable correct and insightful molecular biology experiments for a variety of scientific questions
- PhD in Molecular Genetics, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Evolution or related field focused on plant-based research
- 5+ years experience managing innovative scientific teams
- Strong track record of formulating research programs
- Demonstrated ability to deliver scientific results in a cross functional environment