Senior DevOps Engineer - Full Time
Posted on Sep 20, 2022 by Methods Business and Digital Technology Limited
Methods Analytics is currently recruiting for a Senior DevOps Engineer to join our team on a permanent basis. This role will be remote but require flexibility to travel to client sites, and our offices in London, Sheffield and Bristol.
About Methods Analytics:
Methods Analytics exists to improve society by helping people make better decisions with data.
Combining passionate people, sector-specific insight and technical excellence to provide our customers an end-to-end data service. We use a collaborative, creative and user centric approach
data to do good and solve difficult problems. And ensure that our outputs are transparent, robust and transformative.
We value discussion and debate as part of our approach. We will question assumptions, ambition and process - but do so with respect and humility. We relish difficult problems, and overcome them with
innovation, creativity and technical freedom to help us design optimum solutions. Ethics, privacy and quality are at the heart of our work and we will not sacrifice these for outcomes.
We treat data with respect and use it only for the right purpose. Our people are positive, dedicated and relentless. Data is a vast topic, but we strive for interactions that are engaging, informative and fun in equal measure. But maintain a steely focus on outcomes and delivering quality products for our customers.
The Senior DevOps Engineer will be:
- Specialised in cloud management of platforms, applications, data and supporting infrastructure in the capacity of a system administrator of either the AWS or Azure platform
- Developing automation to support continuous delivery of changes to test and production systems using technologies on either the AWS or Azure platform.
- Developing infrastructure as a service configuration to automate the creation of infrastructure and platforms to host test and production systems
- Building and setting up new development tools and infrastructure
- Understanding the needs of stakeholders and conveying this to developers
- Working on ways to automate and improve development and release processes
- Testing and examining code written by others and analysing results
- Ensuring that systems are safe and secure against cybersecurity threats
- Familiar with the NCSC secure design principles
- Identifying technical problems and developing software updates and fixes' both manually and using automation
- Familiar with managing security of cloud platforms, including administration of secrets, tokens and certificates.
- Working with Architects, Data and Software Engineers to ensure that development follows established processes and works as intended
- Planning out projects and being involved in project management decisions
- Responsible for the design, security, and maintenance of cloud infrastructure
- Making and guiding effective decisions, explaining clearly how the decision has been reached with the ability to understand and resolve technical disputes across varying levels of complexity and risk.
- Communicating effectively across organisational, technical and political boundaries to understand the context and how to make complex and technical information and language simple and accessible for non-technical audiences.
- Understanding of how to expose data from systems (for example, through APIs), link data from multiple systems and deliver streaming services.
- Ensuring that risks associated with deployment are adequately understood and documented.
Ideal Candidates will demonstrate:
- Experience in Machine Learning or Data Science based projects
- Solid infrastructure design experience for both on-prem and cloud, to implement or migrate applications and databases to Azure and AWS.
- Solid experience in a range of technologies and be able to make assessments as to what is best to be used for the projects and the organisation. As well as suggest and develop innovative approaches within constrained projects and environments.
- Strong experience in software development, change/release management processes, and technical governance to fully understand the typical life cycle and maintenance of live systems.
- Ability to work with containerization platforms such as Kubernetes, PKS, Docker; cloud provisioning software, including Ansible, Terraform, Chef, Azure blueprints, ARM templates, Cloud Formation Templates; and application performance analysis and monitoring
- Experience of functional and non-functional testing including automated deployment experience of applications and databases.
- Understanding of the government digital service manual and standards across
- Discovery/Alpha/Beta/Live phases.
- Understanding of SaaS, PaaS, IaaS technologies and the implications of their use compared with bespoke development.
- Being able to provide training, support and mentoring to the wider business
- Knowledge of how to ensure that risks associated with deployment are adequately understood and documented.
Desirable Skills & Experience:
- Worked as part of a system support team, managing live systems and triaging & resolving incidents to resolution including management of known defects and issues.
- Worked as part of multi-disciplinary project team.
- Experience of both AWS and Azure Dev Ops tooling.
- Methods Analytics is passionate about its people; we want our colleagues to develop the things they are good at and enjoy.
By joining us you can expect:
- Autonomy to develop and grow your skills and experience
- Be part of exciting project work that is making a difference in society
- Strong, inspiring, and thought-provoking leadership
- A supportive and collaborative environment
As well as this, we offer:
- Development access to LinkedIn Learning, a management development programme and training
- Wellness 24/7 Confidential employee assistance programme
- Social - office parties, pizza Friday and commitment to charitable causes
- Time off 25 days a year
- Pension Salary Exchange Scheme with 4% employer contribution and 5% employee contribution
- Discretionary Company Bonus based on company and individual performance
- Life Assurance of 4 times base salary
- Private Medical Insurance which is non-contributory (spouse and dependants included)
- Worldwide Travel Insurance which is non-contributory (spouse and dependants included)