Data Protection Officer
Posted on Jan 22, 2019 by Pertemps Reading Commercial DDT
This role is an initial 3 month Contract with a possibility of being extended
This role falls inside of IR35
The Data Protection Officer is accountable for ensuring that personal data is used in accordance with Data Protection Laws. The Data Protection Officer is responsible for leading and agreeing programmes of work with the SIRO and Senior Managers and then managing the delivery of these projects to improve data protection controls and address data privacy risks. The Data Protection Officer is also accountable for overseeing the delivery of Subject Access Requests and how the organisation ensures that any data breaches are appropriately addressed, including researching, understanding and responding to specific cases where appropriate.
1. To lead on shaping and agreeing the programme of work, for the Information Governance Board to deliver on behalf of the SIRO, which improve data protection controls that address how data is used across the agencies and ensuring that appropriate personal data that is required by services is able to be recorded and used by services.
2. Accountable for managing packages of work that deliver appropriate controls on time and to budget, which ensure that personal data is used in line with Data Protection laws.
3. To drive the improvement of Data Protection controls with key stakeholders across the Council, by presenting programmes of work to the Information Governance Board and to Senior Management Teams for agreement, review and to monitor progress.
4. Responsible for improving information sharing and accessibility, addressing key data quality challenges and shaping information security standards to ensure that data protection policies are in place by understanding and distilling the requirements of Service Managers and how they translate into what is delivered in Technology Services, Business Intelligence and the Policies and Procedures used to govern the use of information across the agency.
5. Responsible for ensuring that the rights of data subjects are clearly communicated to the public.
6. To manage high risk Data Protection incidents, including all contact with the Information Commissioners Office. Has direct accountability for ensuring that all high risk Subject Access Requests or Data Loss cases that are appropriately addressed by taking mitigating action and to manage the subsequent investigation of incidences to ensure that the agency learns and puts appropriate controls in place from high risk DP incidents.
7. To manage Subject Access Requests and Data Loss cases across the agency, ensuring that appropriate accountably, governance and reporting is in place to hold Officers to account for the delivery of this activity across the agency. Responsible for ensuring that all cases are tracked and action is taken to deliver them within legal timescales where appropriate.
8. Responsible for investigating, or overseeing the investigation of, corporate Subject Access Requests or Data Loss cases to their appropriate completion.
• An understanding of the principles of data sharing and data ownership is essential including how these may be utilised to the benefit of the Council's aims
• Excellent technical knowledge of data processing and information security
• Experience of developing, creating and implementing policies and procedures to ensure compliance with data protection legislation
• Proven ability to use expert knowledge to advise and address data protection compliance issues, and experience of dealing with data protection/information security issues
• In-depth specialist knowledge of data protection legislation and regulatory framework - Data Protection Act, Freedom of Information Act and working knowledge of associated legislation such as Care Act, Protection of Vulnerable Adults
• Ability to respond creatively and effectively in developing appropriate solutions to business needs from the use of residents and customer data to enable outcomes to be improved and services to be managed while protecting individuals' personal data
For more information please apply and a recruitment consultant will be in touch to answer any queries you may have
GCB Agency Recruitment
Pertemps SSDC (Shared Service Delivery Centre)
Randstad Employment Bureau