WPD Summer Camp Counselor
Posted on Jan 19, 2019 by Winnetka Park District
Under the direct supervision of the Camp Director and Recreation Supervisor, the Camp Counselor will be responsible for supervising, leading, and planning age appropriate activities while maintaining a safe and fun environment for a group of campers (children range from three years old to 9th grader depending on campsite). Due to the varying school release calendar, camp tentatively runs from early June through the first week of August* with training dates approximately one week before the start of camp. Counselors must be able to attend all mandatory staff training days and commit to the entire eight (8)* weeks of camp, including the Fourth of July. Any issues with these dates need to be addressed and noted with the Recreation Supervisor upon application or during the interview process.
* Please apply even if you cannot commit to the entire duration of camp--depending on the position offered and location of camp, some positions may conclude early and late July. If applying with the foreknowledge of missing a substantial portion of the summer, it must be addressed prior to being hired.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
* Arrive at camp energized and be prepared to initiate daily activities (such as crafts, games, special events, etc.); you are an active participant in the goings on at camp.
* Assist in the set-up and break-down of camp each and every day.
* Each counselor will be responsible for a group of campers.
* Follow the direction of the Camp Director and Recreation Supervisor.
* Treat parents, campers, and co-workers with enthusiasm and respect every day.
* Ensure the safety of all participants in indoor, outdoor, and lakefront environments; administer basic first aid if necessary.
* Clean and keep order to the campsite in general.
* Complete all tasks in compliance with Park District policies, safety rules, and the employee manual.
Candidates should be dependable, responsible, energetic, and have the ability to handle a group of children in a safe, but enjoyable camp environment. The ability to communicate with parents, campers, and the community while maintaining effective relationships with co-workers is also necessary. Applicants must be 16 years of age by the start of training.
Online application only; no paper applications will be accepted. Please provide at least one reference letter when applying.