Animal Caretaker - H
Posted on Jan 19, 2019 by Iowa Select Farms
TITLE: Sow Farm AnimalCaretaker
REPORTS TO: Sow Farm DepartmentHead
PURPOSE OF POSITION: Towork as a team member caring for and administering to sows and piglets toassure optimum productivity. This personwill assist where needed working with animals and light facility repair andmaintenance.
* Adhere to ISF bio-security policy at all times andreport to management team any violation.
* Adhere to ISF animal wellbeing policy at all times andknow reporting procedures when incident occurs.
* Adhere to ISF safety policies and procedures and wearappropriate safety equipment (PPE) for appropriate tasks and work in a safemanner.
* The 3 key responsibilities listed above are alltracked via audits, you play a critical role in the success of audits for theentire farm which also impacts incentive payouts.
* Care and management of animals to ensure that:
* Animals are properly fed.
* Water is available.
* Observation of all animals daily and ensuring sick animals are properly treated.
* Overall animal conditions are evaluated and maintained.
* Follow proper steps for timely euthanasia and be able to identify when it is needed.
* Care and managementof facilities to ensure that:
* Fans, curtains, heaters and other equipment are working properly.
* Ventilation equipment is adjusted to provide proper environment.
* Facilities are kept clean, including power washing and disinfecting.
* Maintain accuraterecords using ISF forms and protocols.
* Procure, administerand dispense medications and vaccinations according to ISF protocols.
* Perform heatdetection, artificial insemination and pregnancy checks.
* Monitor andassist in the farrowing process.
* Process,vaccinate and castrate piglets at appropriate times.
* Proper handlingof chemicals (storage and application).
* Setting littersto ISF protocols.
* Wean pigsaccording to farm protocols.
* Follow deadremoval protocols and ensure safety and biosecurity procedures are beingfollowed.
* Move animals(sows, boars and piglets) using safe handling practices.
* Provide feedbackto department heads and farm manager.
* Demeanor shouldbe positive and professional at all times.
* Daily focusshould be on welfare of animals, not personal issues.
* Attendance iscritical. Be at work on scheduled days and be ready to walk into barns by starttime given.
* Be friendly,positive, helpful, team-oriented and respectful to co-workers and managementteam.
* Flexibility inhours during health and staffing challenges is required.
Education/ Experience: None required
This person must be motivated and be able tofollow directions and complete tasks effectively. Thus, they must haveinitiative, organization, and dependability. Physical requirements include theability to lift up to 40 pounds and to climb over gates up to 48 inches inheight as well as pushing, pulling, bending and kneeling. While performing the duties of this job, theemployee is regularly required to walk and stand, use hands to finger, handle,or feel objects, tools, controls, or animals. The employee is occasionallyrequired to reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and talk or hear.
This position requires the employee to workclosely with managers, supervisors, production staff and other employees, soteamwork and effective communication skills are very important. Direct contact with animals will occur, sogood stockmanship and bio-security practices must be understood and practicedat all times. The employee must be able to, with or without accommodation, workin all facilities within the requirements of this job description. #AC