Nursery Animal Caretaker
Posted on Jan 19, 2019 by Iowa Select Farms
TITLE: Wean to Finish/Nursery AnimalCaretaker
REPORTS TO: Wean to FinishManager
PURPOSE OF POSITION: Towork as a team member caring for and administering to newly weaned pig and/orfeeder pigs to assure optimum productivity throughout the finishing phase. Thisperson will assist where needed working with animals and light facility repairand maintenance.
* Adhere to ISFbio-security policy at all times and report to management team any violation.
* Adhere to ISFanimal wellbeing policy at all times and know reporting procedures whenincident occurs.
* Adhere to ISFsafety policies and procedures and wear appropriate safety equipment (PPE) forappropriate tasks and work in a safe manner.
* The 3 keyresponsibilities listed above are all tracked via audits, you play a criticalrole in the success of audits for the entire farm which also impacts incentivepayouts.
* Care andmanagement of animals to ensure that:
* Animals are properly fed.
* Water is available.
* Observation of all animals daily and ensuring sick animals are properly treated.
* Overall animal conditions are evaluated and maintained.
* Follow proper steps for timely euthanasia and be able to identify when it is needed.
* Care andmanagement of facilities to ensure that:
* Fans, curtains, heaters and other equipment are working properly.
* Ventilation equipment is adjusted to provide proper environment.
* Facilities are kept clean, including power washing, disinfection, tear down and set up of barns between groups.
* Maintain accuraterecords using ISF forms and protocols.
* Procure,administer and dispense medications and vaccinations according to ISFprotocols.
* Proper handlingof chemicals (storage and application).
* Follow deadremoval protocols and ensure safety and biosecurity procedures are beingfollowed.
* Move animalsusing safe handling practices.
* Receive, sort,and pen incoming animals
* Load out animals,move in small groups (3-5 market hogs) to meet truckers needs
* Monitor feedusage and communicate needs to manager.
* Monitor theenvironment and the environmental controls in the facilities.
* Provide feedbackto manager and supervisors.
* Demeanor shouldbe positive and professional at all times.
* Daily focusshould be on welfare of animals, not personal issues.
* Attendance iscritical. Be at work on scheduled days and be ready to walk into barns by starttime given.
* Be friendly,positive, helpful, team-oriented and respectful to co-worker and managementteam.
* Flexibility in hoursduring health and staffing challenges is required.
* If you are unableto make it to work, you have to call the manager prior to the start time tonotify them.
* Travel betweenfarms if required.
Education/ Experience: None required
This person must be motivated and be able tofollow directions and complete tasks effectively. Thus, they must haveinitiative, organization, and dependability. Physical requirements include theability to lift up to 40 pounds and to climb over gates up to 48 inches inheight as well as pushing, pulling, bending and kneeling. While performing theduties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk and stand, usehands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, controls, or animals. Theemployee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms; climb orbalance; and talk or hear.
This position requires the employee to workclosely with managers, supervisors, productions staff and other employees, soteamwork and effective communication skills are very important. Direct contactwith animals will occur, so good stockmanship and bio-security practices mustbe understood and practiced at all times. The employee must be able to, with orwithout accommodation, work in all facilities within the requirement of thisjob description.