DevOps Engineer / Senior Consultant
Posted on Jan 23, 2019 by Anonymous
Located in the heart of Bristol, a top 10 city in Europe for tech, you will be joining a new team that will comprise of analysts, creative designers, solution engineers, testers, that will provide creative digital and technology services for our clients in the South West and beyond.
For us, developers are not people who sit in a room somewhere churning out code. As a senior member of our team, we need you to lead, guide, plan, explain, working alongside clients and other agency disciplines, cracking problems with a mix of technical expertise and innovative thinking. It's how we outclass the competition and create the best digital experiences.
As a team lead with extensive, real-world experience of both good and bad DevOps cultures and practices, it will be your responsibility to manage and educate DevOps Engineers in cross-functional teams at the frontline of our delivery projects. Successful applicants should get a real kick out of helping our projects launch in a successful and stress-free manner, drawing on a wide range of skills covering software development, technical architecture, IT service management and infrastructure operations.
* Lead our Client's technical teams, covering one or more of the following disciplines: deployment and configuration management, release management, technical cutover, environments management and infrastructure automation.
* Apply DevOps thinking - i.e. bringing development and IT ops processes, people and tools closer together - in order to increase the speed, efficiency and quality with which we deliver technical solutions to our clients.
* Architect a project or programme's Deployment Pipeline; the set of technical and business assurance activities that support the transition of application and infrastructure services from development through to production.
* Define and execute a balanced management methodology that is capable of organising a diverse collection of technical activities into a coherent work stream.
* Liaise with the Client and client development teams, IT service groups and 3rd parties to encourage process transparency, mutually beneficial design and delivery practices, and a clear view of roles and responsibilities across the Deployment Pipeline.
* Provide DevOps thought leadership and mentoring in both advisory and delivery contexts, focusing on the requirements of our clients' customers and how these are best served by continuous improvements to our delivery approach.
Based in our Client's Office, you'll be part of building our growing South West presence and you'll be working with our exciting clients in the region, you'll also have a chance to work with clients throughout the UK, Europe and beyond.
Your professional experience
Overall, you're an idea person and problem solver as well as a hands-on doer - that's important. And you know it takes a mix of people to do amazing work, so you love collaborating with and learning from people with different skills, backgrounds and perspectives. If you have an interesting or unusual mix of skills yourself, even better.
We're expanding fast, so we're looking for people who are, by which we mean natural initiative-takers who bring out the best in others, are brilliant listeners and can grow our business without compromising standards, integrity or culture.
A good graduate degree (First or Upper Second) is a must, along with the right to live and work in the UK
* Previous architecture or technical team lead experience, preferably fulfilling an DevOps leadership, infrastructure or environments management role on a major systems delivery programme
* A solid technical background, with at least 4 years' experience in implementation work; for example, in enterprise Java development or infrastructure automation
* A thorough grasp of agile and lean delivery concepts and methodologies, and a history of successfully applying this knowledge to manage medium sized (5-10 people) technical teams
* Architecture and design experience of products and services from current cloud vendors, e.g. Amazon Web Services, Rackspace Cloud
* Experience in a significant delivery or operational role during the go-live of at least two major web sites (or other large IT systems)
* A good understanding of how an IT operations department is typically organised and the role that it plays within a large company
* Strong general knowledge of what might be referred to as the "DevOps toolkit": continuous integration platforms, infrastructure-as-code frameworks, application release automation tools, container runtime and orchestration, IaaS and PaaS technologies etc.
* Strong organisational skills, with the ability to work independently as well in a highly collaborative, team-based environment
* Strong written and verbal communication and presentation skills
* A good graduate degree (1st or Upper Second) combined with post-graduate experience in consulting or industry
* The right to live and work in the UK
* Implementation experience with Puppet, Chef, Ansible or Salt
* Linux systems administration certification at RHCSA (or equivalent) level or above
* Administrative experience of Jenkins/Hudson, CircleCI, TeamCity, Team Foundation Server or similar continuous integration tool
* Java or .NET development certification at SCJP/MCTS level or above
* Architecture, implementation and operational experience of container technologies such as Docker and Kubernetes
* Experience working in multi-supplier technical and commercial project environments
Please send CV's for immediate response