General Counsel/Chief Legal Officer
Posted on Jan 19, 2019 by Weedmaps
The company operates within the legal sector.
- Manage and lead the legal team by providing leadership, direction, coaching, and coordination of work, as well as developing and organizing legal capacity. Prioritize department goals and objectives consistent with guidance from executive leadership.
- Provide confidential legal opinions, interpretations, recommendations, and other legal services to the Chief Executive Officer, President, Chief Operating Officer, Chief Financial Officer, Chief Information Officer, Chief Technology Officer, and Chief Product Officer (collectively known as the executive leadership of the organization) and, at their request, to other Vice Presidents, senior managers and persons responsible for managing the organization.
- Acting through the Chair, provide legal opinions, interpretations, recommendations, and other legal services to the Board of Directors.
- Continue to drive improvement in optimization of legal department work flow and seek ways to drive scalability of the legal department, including the ongoing advancement of standard forms and policies.
- Represent the organization in the formation, negotiation, documentation, and implementation of major transactions and lines of business with a significant legal or compliance dimension. This may include interacting with a wide variety of outside parties such as public and private funding and regulatory agencies, potential business partners, contractors and vendors, outside counsel, and opposing counsel.
- Responsible for leading all Compliance, Legal and Risk Management functions
- Work closely with the government relations and policy team to ensure timely integration of legislative and regulatory developments into company practice.
- Help set strategy and guide company movements including advice on strategic planning.
- Identify business, regulatory and legal risks and recommend practical alternatives that allow the Company to operate in compliance with state and federal laws, rules and regulations.
- Defend and prosecute lawsuits and arbitrations.
- Continue to foster and develop internal legal team knowledge through team learning sessions, trainings and department information sharing tools.
- Maintain and update litigation policies and procedures including standard responses for subpoenas and other legal requests.
- Oversee all employment law issues.
- Advise management on legal implications of proposed actions and policies.
- JD, preferably admitted to practice law in the state of California
- 5-10 years as General Counsel or Chief Legal Officer with experience as the Chief Legal Officer of a public company
- Experience advising start-up and late stage technology companies, including those with significant cross-borders operations
- Experience guiding large-scale M&A and strategic licensing deals
- Preferable to have experience with technology service and data licensing contracts
- Thorough understanding of issues in employment law and experience handling employment-related matters from inception through appeal
- Experience with data security and privacy compliance matters
- Expertise in relevant regulatory and compliance matters including regulatory and client disclosures, managing SEC, FINRA and state examinations, inquiries, investigations, and regulatory enforcement matters as well as all litigation and arbitration
- Experience building and maintaining a diverse and inclusive legal department while maintaining culture and camaraderie among the team
- Experience working with a dynamic, fast-moving C-Suite, providing clear advice that is both proactive and reactive as situations arise
- Proactive leader with an entrepreneurial bent
- Detail-oriented issue spotter (e.g., conflict of interest, etc.) and proficiency in best practices in corporate governance
- Generalist in-house legal expert accustomed to a zero-based approach when reviewing key areas of vendor contracts such as data security, indemnification, intellectual property, termination provisions, etc.
- Excellent judgment in determining whether to build internal capabilities or outsource specific legal matters to outside counsel
- Excellent academic credentials and top firm and in-house experience is required
- Experience with management of government relations and policy teams preferred