Posted on Jan 16, 2019 by Anonymous
Based at one of our regional offices in the UK
The global communications industry is continuing to change at breakneck speed. As the UK's communications regulator, Ofcom is at the heart of a sector which not only impacts everyone's lives but also plays a leading role in the UK economy.
The Market Intelligence team is the source of critical information and insight within Ofcom, providing data and analysis on the communication industries. It sits within the Strategy and Research Group and provides first-class insight of UK communications market developments that serve as the evidence base for Ofcom's policy and regulatory work. We work collaboratively with other Ofcom teams and with external stakeholders to deliver Ofcom's objectives. Our work includes leading the delivery of Ofcom's annual Media Nations Report and Communications Market Report.
Purpose of the Role
Senior Associates and Associates in the MI team are empowered to display strong analytical skills, excellent communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively. They provide high quality analysis of communications market data, including leading pieces that shape Ofcom's long-term thinking and strategy. The role includes drawing insights from large data sets and delivering high quality internal and external publications.
Requirements of the Role
- Lead the delivery of the BBC performance report to provide an independent evidence base for monitoring the BBC
- Engage with a wide range of Ofcom projects and reports to ensure our policy work is evidence-based and reflective of the latest industry developments
- Contribute to the first-ever report on internet use and the online market
- Manage Ofcom's stakeholder engagement for the UK public service broadcasters and other TV companies
- Source, analyse and interpret market data (primarily television and online) ensuring that relevant insights and trends are understood and used to inform Ofcom's projects and reports
- Ensure the data we receive from communications providers is accurate and robust
- Present analysis in a concise, clear, and easily accessible way using graphs, charts, well-written text and presentations
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Enthusiasm and evidence of previous experience in media industry research and analysis
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint to manage data sets, analyse results and present data in clear, concise and creative ways
- Good attention to detail and commitment to ensure work is accurate
- Strong communication skills with the ability to explain complex results and issues clearly in writing and orally
- Excellent organisational skills, with ability to manage and prioritise a range of work, projects and ad hoc requests
- Demonstrable interest in and knowledge of the TV market, including an understanding of market developments, growth drivers and key players
- Understanding and appreciation of the role of regulation in the communications sector
- Evidence of Ofcom's values of excellence, agility, empowerment and collaboration
Desirable Skills / Experience
- Previous experience in the communications industry, particularly in TV
- Beginner or intermediate skills with databases such Salesforce would be beneficial
- Capability or desire to learn new data analytical and visualisation tools (e.g. PowerBI)
Degree or equivalent qualification
- Draws complex ideas into a clear and focused document
- Seeks creative and innovative ways to achieve outcomes - Adapts, develops, and applies analytical approaches to tackle new problems/projects
- Demonstrates understanding of strategic and commercial pressures, market behaviour and the effect of regulatory intervention
- Prioritises own work on the basis of strategic importance
- Shows understanding of the interests and needs of internal and external stakeholders
This role is offered on both a full and part-time basis.
To apply for the role of Media Analyst, please apply via the button shown.
This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Additional Keywords: Media Analyst, Communications Analyst, Marketing Analyst, Media Industry Analyst, Social Media Analyst, Market Analyst, Communications Market Analyst, Media Research Analyst