Posted on Jan 17, 2019 by QUALITY SOLICITORS MEWIES
Job description/person specification
Litigation Assistant/Paralegal, Litigation department
Justin Birch, Director/Solicitor and Head of Litigation
Mark Irlam, Solicitor, Litigation
Normal hours of work:
Full time Monday to Friday 9am to 5.15pm with a one hour lunch break
plus the occasional Saturday morning 9.30am-12.30pm on a rota basis (optional)
General description of role
Legal assistant to provide advice (under supervision) to clients of the firm on personal injury, medical negligence, employment and general litigation matters. Training will be provided to enable them to run their own caseload under supervision. An integral member of the practice's Litigation team, the person will be friendly and smartly presented, professional and punctual and ideally will be self-sufficient in typing with an interest in marketing/networking. The role involves time recording, billing and debt management.
To assist, under supervision, with the provision of legal advice to clients on litigation matters including personal injury, medical negligence, employment and commercial.
In time and with training, to undertake legal work and be able to run own caseload with supervision by the other more experienced lawyers in the Litigation department.
To attend court with Counsel as required regarding litigation matters and/or other work.
To undertake personal injury work on the portal. Training will be provided.
To time record, bill clients and manage debt in accordance with established procedures of the department and practice.
To maintain a diary in Outlook, entering Court dates, reminder notes and other key dates into the diary where appropriate and ensure deadlines are met.
To support theLitigation team in promoting and developing the Litigation department. An interest in marketing and networking events is a bonus.
To be a team player, assisting with the smooth running of the department.
To carry out additional tasks reasonably delegated by the Directors or Practice Manager.
To be self-sufficient in terms of typing and to prepare and type all own emails, letters and documents.
To comply with the SRA's 10 mandatory Principles required by all owners/employees of law firms as below:
- To uphold the rule of the law and the proper administration of justice
- To act with integrity
- To not allow my firm's independence to be compromised
- To act in the best interests of each client
- To provide a proper standard of service to the firm's clients
- To behave in a way that maintains the trust the public places in me and in the provision of legal services
- To comply with my legal and regulatory obligations and deal with my regulators and ombudsmen in an open, timely and co-operative manner
- To run the business or carry out my role in the business effectively and in accordance with proper governance and sound financial and risk management principles
- To run the business in a way that encourages equality of opportunity and respect for diversity
- To protect client money and assets.
Experience of working for a law firm, ideally as a fee earner dealing with clients in Litigation but other legal experience will suffice. An interest in, or working towards ILEX qualification or LPC is preferable but not essential.
Strong IT skills, proficient in the use of Microsoft Word/Outlook
Good keyboard skills including touch typing
Good grammar and spelling
Professional in all dealings with colleagues, clients and third parties
Friendly, confident manner towards all visitors and colleagues
Smart and presentable - this role involves client contact, both face-to-face and by telephone
Punctual and reliable
A team player
Polite and helpful both on the telephone and in person
Discreet - confidentiality is essential
Compassionate, patient and skilled at managing clients' expectations
Able to multi task and manage his/her workload (both repetitive tasks and ad-hoc) efficiently in order to meet deadlines.
Displaying the practice's core values in all interactions at work, i.e. being:
- Friendly (to deal with)
- Approachable (easy to talk to and get hold of)
- Reliable (in our working practices and relationships)
- Pragmatic (in our problem solving capabilities) with a can-do, common sense attitude.
To apply, please send your cv along with a covering email/letter explaining your experience and why you are suitable for the role to Emma Hayton, Practice Manager by clicking apply before Friday 11th January 2019. Please note that if a suitable candidate is found earlier in the process, the closing date may change so early applications are strongly encouraged.
Platinum Recruitment Group
Enjoy Recruitment Group Ltd
Alecto Recruitment Ltd