Principal Scientist, Cancer Biology
Posted on Jan 16, 2019 by Deerfield Management
Job ID 2
# of Openings 1
Category Research & Development
Nuvalent is improving human health by developing breakthrough small molecule therapeutics that engage biological targets in new ways using cutting-edge chemical insights. By expanding the universe of targets that interact with small molecules, we are generating therapeutics with activities not previously possible, including modulation of 'undruggable' targets. Our unique approach is leading to first-in-class and best-in-class small molecule therapeutics that will significantly impact patient's lives.
We seek an entrepreneurial, creative and highly motivated Cancer Biologist to discover and develop novel small molecule therapeutics for the treatment of cancer. The successful candidate has a deep knowledge of cancer biology, including small molecule therapeutics, and will design and implement in vitro and in vivo efficacy, mechanism of action and biomarker studies. In addition, the Cancer Biologist will actively participate in target identification and selection. Nuvalent will maximally leverage externalization. As such, the ideal candidate is experienced in guiding external studies. Experience participating in and leading multiple programs from Hit Identification to Clinical Candidate is highly desirable.
- Be a highly collaborative member of an emerging cross-functional team advancing high quality drug candidates.
- Work as a part of a team, but also take a leadership role to identify, design and direct outsourced PK/PD, tolerability, efficacy and biomarker studies of lead compounds in rodent models.
- Coordinate biological evaluation of lead compounds.
- Participate in the identification and nomination of new targets.
- Ph.D. in cancer biology or related field with 7+ years of experience in the (bio)pharmaceutical industry
- Deep knowledge and demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills in Cancer Biology
- Broad experience in developing and working with in vivo cancer models for the evaluation of small molecules, especially PDX models
- Expertise in molecular biology, tissue culture and cell biology assays, including real-time PCR, DNA cloning, Western blot, immunoprecipitation, ELISA, Next Generation Sequencing, viral transductions, flow cytometry, and microscopy
- Deep understanding and knowledge of the kinase inhibitor space
- Excellent understanding of the drug discovery process and a proven track record of contributing to the identification of lead compounds and clinical candidates
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Excellent team player
- Experience coordinating outsourced biological studies
Nuvalent provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to religion, race, creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, alienage or citizenship status, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, disability, veteran or military status, predisposing genetic characteristics or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Bristol-Myers Squibb Company
Union of Concerned Scientists