Posted on Jan 18, 2019 by Deerfield Management
Job ID 2
# of Openings 1
Category Research & Development
Nuvalent is improving human health by developing breakthrough small molecule therapeutics that engage biological targets in new ways using cutting-edge chemical insights. By expanding the universe of targets that interact with small molecules, we are generating therapeutics with activities not previously possible, including modulation of 'undruggable' targets. Our unique approach is leading to first-in-class and best-in-class small molecule therapeutics that will significantly impact patient's lives.
We seek a highly motivated computational chemist to join a multidisciplinary team focused on structure-based small molecule drug discovery. The successful candidate will join an emerging company with a unique approach to discovering next-generation small molecule therapeutics. The scientist in this position will be able to work directly with a team, including the scientific founder, on development of Nuvalent's exciting new direction in small molecule therapeutics.
The ideal candidate will have hands-on experience working with multidisciplinary teams in drug discovery. Experience participating in structure-based programs from Hit Identification to Clinical Candidate is highly desirable.
- Work as part of a team to design novel small molecule ligands as part of Nuvalent's drug development efforts.
- Ligand identification and prioritization.
- Apply computational methods across the drug discovery pipeline including: small molecule docking, homology modeling, free energy calculations, quantum mechanics calculations, developing QSAR models, and pharmacophore elucidation.
- Contribute to Nuvalent's intellectual property.
- Ph.D. degree in computational chemistry
- Experience using structure-based design tools, including:
- Glide (Schrdinger suite), MOE, and others
- Experience with ligand- and property-based drug design.
- Experience with small molecule quantum mechanics calculations and their application in drug discovery.
- Proficiency with computer programing/scripting languages, such as KNIME, C++ and Python.
- Strong interpersonal as well as written and oral communication skills.
- Organizational skills, along with a demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively among a small, highly committed team.
Nulvalent provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to religion, race, creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, alienage or citizenship status, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, disability, veteran or military status, predisposing genetic characteristics or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Alnylam Pharmaceuticals Inc.
Sandia National Laboratories