Employee Relations Partner
Posted on Jan 18, 2019 by National Basketball Association
As a global sports and media business, the NBA is so much more. While Basketball Operations runs the league's on-court activities, other departments manage relationships with television and digital media partners, develop marketing partnerships with some of the world's most recognizable companies, oversee the licensing of NBA merchandise, and handle a wide range of responsibilities that drive the NBA's success.
This position will join a team responsible for providing guidance on and directly handling employee relations matters to ensure fair and consistent treatment of employees and to cultivate a respectful, positive, and productive work environment. The position will also work to design, enhance, and implement Human Resources programs, policies and procedures that are compliant with the law, align to best practices, improve culture, and meet business goals.
- Collaborate with HR Business Partners to provide consultative expertise on employee relations matters, such as employee grievances, performance management, progressive discipline, leaves and accommodations, job eliminations, terminations and reorganizations.
- Directly handle the investigation and resolution of employee relations issues with a focus on balancing business need and organizational risk, consistent application of workplace policies and procedures, and compliance with relevant federal, state, and local laws and regulations.
- Draft, review, and deliver relevant documentation, including talking points, Performance Improvement Plans, Warnings, notes to file, meeting summaries, and investigative file materials.
- Design and implement competitive employee policies and programs that are legally compliant, align to best practices, and enhance the organization's culture.
- Support the design and delivery of employee relations trainings, such as Respect in the Workplace, Sexual Harassment, etc.
- Analyze employee exit information and provide recommendations for continuous improvement.
- Respond to general HR related inquiries.
- Work on special projects as needed.
- Strong knowledge and facility for interpreting and communicating employment regulations and HR policy.
- Outstanding interpersonal and influencing skills with proven success establishing effective and collaborative relationships with individuals at all levels of an organization.
- Excellent mediation and conflict resolution skills with the ability to demonstrate flexibility, creativity, business acumen, and emotional intelligence.
- Exceptional judgment and ability to quickly identify needs/issues and develop proactive solutions.
- Superior, verbal and written communication skills, analytical skills, and presentation skills.
- Attention to detail, a sense of urgency, and the ability to set priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to handle highly confidential information in a mature and professional manner.
- 5 - 10 years of experience in Employee Relations or labor/employment law, including experience directly managing complex/sensitive workplace investigations.
- Strong knowledge of federal and state employment laws and regulations as well as current and progressive HR practices.
- Broad experience with HR practices, including drafting and applying workplace policies and procedures, performance management, leave and accommodations, and coaching leadership a plus.
- Good track record of decision-making capacity, analysis, and prior experience adding value to an organization from an HR perspective.
Educational Background Required
- Bachelor's degree required. J.D. and/or Masters preferred.
- Training in Human Resources and Labor and Employment Regulations.
We Consider Applicants For All Positions On The Basis Of Merit, Qualifications And Business Needs, And Without Regard To Race, Color, National Origin, Religion, Sex, Gender Identity, Age, Disability, Alienage Or Citizenship Status, Ancestry, Marital Status, Creed, Genetic Predisposition Or Carrier Status, Sexual Orientation, Veteran Status, Familial Status, Status As A Victim Of Domestic Violence Or Any Other Status Or Characteristic Protected By Applicable Federal, State, Or Local Law.
Nearest Major Market: Manhattan
Nearest Secondary Market: New York City
Job Segment: Drafting, HR, Employee Relations, Compliance, Performance Management, Engineering, Human Resources, Legal