Paralegal - Transactional and Leasing
Posted on Jan 18, 2019 by Revantage Corporate Services
Job ID 2
As part of the Revantage Corporate Services, the Paralegal will assist real estate attorneys in connection with leasing, transactional and other real estate matters. In performing the responsibilities, the Paralegal will work with the legal team in the Chicago office as well as the members of the various portfolio companies (based out of multiple states). In addition, the Paralegal will interact and work with the following departments: financial analysis, due diligence, accounting, income tax, property tax, financial reporting, treasury, risk services and environmental/engineering, as well as with regional and local portfolio company personnel responsible for individual properties and projects.
As the Paralegal - Transactional and Leasing, one is held accountable to, however not limited to, the following job functions:
- Assist attorneys with documentation, due diligence and closing of real estate transactions, including acquisitions, dispositions, joint ventures, loans and mergers.
- Order title commitments, surveys and zoning reports. Analyze title commitment exception documents against survey and identify potential risks. Prepare title objection letters and determine appropriate title insurance endorsements to minimize risk.
- Periodically prepare or request organizational documents for entities in connection with real estate transactions. This includes forming, qualifying and structuring corporate entities, drafting certificates of authority and resolutions, and requesting certified copies formation documents or good standings.
- Prepare non-disclosure agreements, access agreements, critical dates checklist and closing documents. Actively participating in all closing activities, including obtaining signatures, maintain organized copies of closing documents and creating a closing book.
- Communicate with title companies, surveyors and third-party vendors as needed to insure a smooth closing.
- Daily retrieval/assignment from Legal Ticket System.
- Assist with scheduling law firm CLE's.
- Assist in updating portfolio company's distribution lists.
- Obtaining copies from county or secretary of state.
- Draft initial leases, licenses agreement, and routine legal agreements;
- Assist attorneys with real estate operational matters. This includes reviewing, analyzing or drafting of easements, estoppels, amendments or resolving any title, loan or entity issues that may arise.
- Work closely with in-house attorneys, outside counsel, corporate departments and field personnel on real estate-related matters.
- General duties include: i) Respond to questions from personnel on property issues; ii) Develop processes to chart, maintain, integrate and disseminate property information; iii) Update form documents; iv) Maintain files of property and leasing documentation; v) Assist with maintenance of Legal Department file room; and vi) perform other duties as assigned.
- Maintain Updated Workflow Mapping
- Time entry
- Internal Reporting
- Litigation Tracker
- Expense Reports.
- Project Management of Legal Operations Initiatives
- Manage Outlook calendar for scheduling
- Arrange external lunches/dinners
- Arrange travel
- Coding & submitting legal invoices
- Strong MS Office Suite skills for creation/editing of general business related documents
- Office support (FedEx, copying, scanning, downloading and saving closing books and obtaining copies from law firms for past or present deals)
- Editing/Drafting routine Legal Documents (create first draft, edits, or research).
- Bachelor's degree
- Paralegal certificate
- Knowledge and proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel
- Four to seven years of experience with a law firm or similar in-house position working as a Paralegal on complex real estate transactions
- Ability to work as part of a team and independently
- Strong communication, counseling and problem-solving skills
Revantage Corporate Services
The Community Builders
Revantage Corporate Services