Director of Business Affairs - Alfred State College
Posted on Jan 17, 2019 by Alfred State College
The Director of Business Affairs reports to the Controller/Chief Financial Officer and is responsible for organizing, directing, and evaluating a wide variety of financial activities including the planning and development of the College's system of accounting and financial controls. The position is responsible for the Budget Office, Procurement and Payment Services, Revenue Accounting, Internal Controls and Property Control, and Foundation Accounting.
The Director of Business Affairs works with the Controller/Chief Financial Officer and members of the President's Council in all areas of financial responsibility.
- Directly supervises and maintains quality control of the following areas: Budgeting, Procurement and Payment Services, Revenue Accounting, Internal Controls and Property Control, and Foundation Accounting
- Coordinate fiscal year end close and prepare the College's financial and regulatory reporting at various stages throughout the year
- Prepare routine and ad hoc financial reports including analysis for senior management
- Develop policies and procedures in compliance with various governing entities and industry best practices.
- Direct financial reporting to meet regulatory and campus needs.
- Provide consultative assistance to administrative units of the College in the interpretation of financial and budget information.
- Design, establish, and maintain an organizational structure and staffing to effectively accomplish organizational goals and objectives; train, supervise, and evaluate personnel staff. Create adequate succession planning and cross-training for the various operations to ensure continuity.
- Ensure proper management of the MWBE program and act as the Diversity reviewer for procurement processes
- Establish and enforce adequate internal controls and enterprise risk management measures
- Participate on campus, SUNY and community committees that serve to benefit the mission of the College
- Remain actively involved in professional activities that are relative to the position.
- Foster positive relationships with all external and internal constituencies served by the College
- Effective oral and written communications skills
- Strong knowledge of accounting principles and processes and financial management
- Knowledge of and experience with complex computer based financial management systems, including system upgrades.
- Knowledge and possession of high professional standards and a personal code of ethics characterized by honesty, integrity, openness, and fairness.
- Strong leadership and administrative skills including, but not limited to: strategic planning, personnel, budget and resource management, and continuous improvement assessment of the unit's operations in all areas.
- Strong analytical, critical thinking, project management, problem recognition, and resolution skills.
- Ability to interpret and appropriately apply accounting principles, regulations, and compliance related policies
- Ability to develop and administer fiscal plans, financial systems, policies and procedures.
- Ability and experience in generating timely and accurate financial information and reports.
- Ability and experience developing, implementing and maintaining internal controls to effectively safeguard and manage finance resources.
- Ability to communicate financial information to all levels of staff and the public effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to develop collaborative and strong working relationships with internal and external constituencies as a service oriented professional.
- Ability to lead a team of professional staff, serve as an internal resource and consultant, and work collaboratively with a wide array of faculty, staff and/or administrators.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, motivate, and support professional staff members
- Ability to manage time and deliver projects in an environment of competing priorities.
Education: Required Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance or related business field. Preferred MBA degree or Master's in a related business field.
Experience: Five years progressive experience in business/financial services and three to five years of supervisory experience. Experience within SUNY preferred, but not required.
Pursuant to University policy, Alfred State College is committed to ensuring equal employment, education opportunity, and equal access to services, programs, and activities without regard to an individual's race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, gender characteristics, marital status, veteran status, military status, domestic violence victim status, or ex-offender status. Employees, students, applicants or other members of the University community (including but not limited to vendors, visitors, and guests) may not be subjected to harassment that is prohibited by law or treated adversely based upon a protected characteristic.
All applicants are subject to a criminal, employment, and educational background check.
Applicants interested in positions may access the Annual Security and Fire Safety Report for the College at . Crime statistics are reported in accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act. Applicants may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the SUNY Alfred State College University Police Department at .