Human Resources Specialist (Payroll and Benefits)
Posted on Jan 22, 2019 by West Suburban Bank
Category Human Resources
Type Regular Full-Time
Summary: The HR Specialist will be responsible for supporting the administration of various employee benefit programs and leading the bi-weekly payroll process. Builds strong working relationships, demonstrates a high-level of integrity, and has a proactive approach to customer service. Coordinates and contributes to project work as needed.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the following essential functions.
- Serve as resource for employees who initiate inquiries concerning employee benefits, payroll or HR policies and assist employees in making changes as necessary. Escalates issues to HR Manager or HR Director as appropriate; provides specific information and detail in order to get direction and guidance.
- Processes bi-weekly payroll, including incentives, commissions, levies, garnishments, and benefits. Researches and analyzes paycheck discrepancies and processes appropriate corrections. Interprets payroll policies and procedures to company employees on all levels.
- Coordinates benefit enrollment process for new employees, life events and the company's annual open enrollment including collecting proper paperwork and entering changes in payroll system and vendor websites. Terminates benefit coverage as necessary and administers continuation benefits through COBRA.
- Administers the day-to-day processes for the company's 401(K) retirement plan including distributions, loan requests and enrollments.
- Tracks and reports all time off associated with leaves of absences including FMLA and ADA. Maintains employee data with vendor. Facilitates the tuition assistance application and reimbursement process. Analyzes plan for usage, employee retention, and overall cost vs. benefit.
- Files worker's compensation claims with insurance carrier and notifies HR Manager of escalated issues or disputes.
- Assists in gathering information for monthly, quarterly and annual audits. Creates and pulls reports from Ultipro as requested.
- Acts as back-up for HR Coordinator and trains new HR Coordinators as needed.
- All other reasonable duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- Strong computer skills. Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Excellent analytical skill;
- Bachelor's degree in related area or equivalent work experience;
- Minimum 1 year experience in a related role;
- General Knowledge of local, state, and federal employment laws and regulations;
- Excellent problem solving/judgment skills and high level of attention to detail and accuracy;
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines;
- Minimum 2 years of payroll and benefit administration experience;
- Prior experience working with an HRIS system preferably Ultimate Software and Business Intelligence.
On the job, the employee may physically be required to bend, sit, use finger movements, and/or handle objects (manual dexterity). On the job the employee must mentally be able to read/comprehend, write, perform calculations, communicate orally, reason, analyze, and multi-task.