Editing Mgr, Product Writing, Global Brand
Posted on Jan 16, 2019 by Nike
Nike, Inc.'s storytellers, Marketing and Communication sets the brand tone. A creative force of specialists tell Nike's stories of innovation and sport through advertising, brand strategy, digital engagement and product presentation. Using channels ranging from retail stores to social media, Marketing & Communication teams connect the science and art of Nike innovations to the hearts and minds of athletes around the world.
Together with the Global Brand Imaging team, Global Brand Product Writing provides the foundation necessary to sell product - image + copy. As an Editing Manager, you combine deep expertise in the creative demands of world-class brands with a proven track record as a consumer retail expert who knows what digital businesses need to function successfully in the real world. A first-hand knowledge of what makes effective product Descriptions and exciting product storytelling is essential.
You and your team will help shape the writing and storytelling for all product-related Descriptions and assets. These deliverables range from online product summaries to expert video interviews to Nike in-store signage. Your goal will be to ensure messaging is clear, on-brand, adheres to strict style guide standards and is legally compliant.
You will maintain a Nike product writing style guide and evolve it as necessary. Our work is used by various audiences and is distributed to multiple channels. So any standards you develop will need to reflect the product type, category, audience and deliverable.
You love process and people as much as the written word. You're just as comfortable presenting to a team as you are using data to unlock process efficiencies. "Good enough" isn't part of your vocabulary, so you're always striving for better from yourself and your team.
- Develop and maintain a Product Writing style guide
- Ensure copy is clear, concise, on-brand and legally compliant
- Manage a team of editors, unlocking their potential to generate maximum productivity without sacrificing quality.
- Help coach and develop copywriters' voice, tone and style
- Attend regular product naming, technology and branding meetings to gather info and represent our customer's interests and voice potential impacts
- Partner with various Nike legal teams to ensure compliance, including trademark and sports marketing
- Champion and communicate standards in ways that garner support and build trust
- 5+ years of commercial creative writing and editing experience, preferably in the sectors of sportswear, fashion, advertising, or editorial , and a portfolio showcasing that work
- Demonstrated ability to succeed in an ecommerce or digital environment
- Management experience strongly preferred
- Must demonstrate exceptional attention to detail and ability to self-manage a heavy workload and hit deadlines
- A talent for working with a team and communicating effectively
- Absolutely must be naturally curious and a storyteller
- Bachelor's degree in communications, advertising, journalism, or related field.